• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To all Veterans

Finns

Quote:

you're welcome and thanks. The world was pretty tame when I served. Vietnam just ended and I went to Alaska for 3 years. My wife and I watched saving private ryan last night. I highly recommend it.

I'd also highly recommend "Saving Private Ryan". Not as entertainment, but to see some of the realities and emotions of war. I learned 2 days after seeing it when it came out in the theatres that my uncle was one of those who landed at Omaha beach on D-Day. It was at that point that I began to understand why he struggled with alcoholism for 25 years afterwards.

An excerpt from the movie where General Marshall, in an effort to console a mother who lost 3 sons in WWII, quoted President Lincoln -

"I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom."