• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Venison Hamburger

lumpy

Ice fished with someone last year who makes his venison hamburger with bacon as the add-in. I forgot the ratio but was wondering what would work the best, 30 - 50 %? He cooked some for us in his ice house and they were great so I thought I would give it a try this year. If I remember right he said to use scrap bacon if you could find it. Anybody else make their venison hamburger this way?

I'm with ST on this one, except maybe just a little less. I use about 10% beef suet. Good to get to know a butcher to get good "fat". The "kidney fat" I believe is the best. The beef suet you see in grocery stores may only be bird food quality.

I had some made last year at Schmidts meat market in Nicollet. They use a beef mixture I think 20 percent. They taste great and I'm told hold thier taste longer than when mixed with pork. I hear pork can get an off taste if it goes beyond a few months without being consumed.

~piker