• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Affordable hunting camps?

CANOPY SAM

I was just sort of curious about what people might think in response to this question.

If you could purchase a small hunting camp at a reasonable price would you do it?

For example, let's say you could buy 40 +/- acres of prime wooded forest with a few small food plots, maybe a pond or stream, easy gravel access, fairly secluded but close to good fishing and hunting opportunities(deer, grouse, bear, etc.).

Let's say there is a new, rustic cabin already in place. Wood burning, or gas stove. No electric or water, but a very comfortable, classic northwoods cabin.

The entire deal would be all set, just drive in, trucks, four wheelers, snowmobiles, stoke up the stove and get out to the stands.

If you could buy something like this for under $50K, would you be interested?

Just curious.

canopy sam,

My brother and I got sick of bumping into people while hunting a number of years ago, so we did exactly what you are asking. Although, it was only land, we had to put the cabin, sauna, shed, well etc... in place. We bought 80 acres back in 1990 for $12,500, it had a great stand of timber with a small river running through it. We have a great neighbor on two sides and county forfeit on the other two, it's great deer, bear and grouse area and only 3 hours from my home front door to the door on the shack.

I don't think you're going to find what you have described for $50k, unless it's way up north, land around my shack is now going for $1200-$1500/acre and that wouldn't include any cabin.

Ole

Actually Ole, I was primarily thinking about land pretty far north of the Twin Cities. I'm just beginning to test the waters, and curious to know if people are interested in purchasing parcels such as these.

I know land has gotten outrageously expensive. I looked at swamp land bordering a river up by Menahga. Beautiful country - essentially worthless land for any type of development - $2000.00 / acre!!!!

But parcels of land such as I described earlier are available, and at fairly reasonable prices. One just has to be willing to do the legwork, and possibly drive a bit further.

How far would you folks be willing to drive to get to your hunting camp if one did exist at this price?

Wow, blush.gif

When you first posted I thought you were joking. This sounds like a fair price (With out knowing what the land lookes like). Personally I wouldn't have a problem driving 4+ hours or so. Also, for me the farther away the better in my opinion. I just don't know if the rest of my party would go for the drive but it's almost what you have to do to get to reasonably priced land. Right now we are very fortunate to hunt private land near Isanti for almost nothing, but it's only a matter of time before that is no longer an option. Please keep passing along info as you get it.

Thanks, Joel

To reach really good hunting and fishing opportunities for myself I can usually expect to drive anywhere from 5 to 7 hours north of the twin cities. I know this isn't an excessive drive because I watch hundreds of anglers and hunters do the same drive with me every time I go up.

I'm just curious to know if there are still people out there like myself that would be willing to invest 50-60 grand for land and a cabin that they could call their own! A base camp, so-to-speak, where you could either hunt right on your own land, or drive sleds or vehicles to great fishing within an hour or so.

Yes, public lands are abundant in these areas (thousands of acres), but keep in mind your not going to be buying lakeshore property on Leech or Winnie. These would be fairly remote sites away from the really overpriced parcels.

I personnaly enjoy getting as far away from other people and machine noise as possible. I like a place where I can sit out on the porch at 5:30 in the evening and listen to absolutely nothing but wind in the leaves.

Property investments such as these generally require 20% down if you go through a bank. I was hoping I might get a few more responses on this question just to see if there are still serious investors out there like myself.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this proposal?

I Bought a place by Upper Red about 3 1/2 years ago,not lakefront but close and some woods. I gotta say, the best thing I ever did, there's nothing like walking my own woods or sitting on the porch at night listening to the sounds of the waves on the beach. The only problem,, I live 12 hours away so I dont get up there as much as I would like but its there and in time, I'll be there to stay..