• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade Hitch?

huntnfish

Has anyone made their own hitch for there tow behind portable? I plan on making one and am either going to use some half inch conduit or some square tubing. I think the conduit would be easier to do the bending. Anyone have any thoughts?

I made a conduit one and have since replaced it with a square tube one that I made, because the condiut one bent when my fish house hit my tire of my four wheeler(I have a frabill triplex, kind of a heavy house) I cut v shaped cuts in the tubing to make the correct angle, and had a fried weld them solid. I also put a cross brace in the Y part of the hitch for extra support because the house is so heavy. I made it to the same size as the otter tow bar. I made it out of 1" alum. square tubing. it cost me about $20 to make as compared to $40 or more for the otter one.

A co-worker made me one today out of 3/4" conduit. He made his own last year and claims it worked fine. But he also warned me, if there is no snow and it's windy, that I'd more than likely hit the tow bar with my rear tires.