• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing trailer rollers with boards

Lost

Question

I was looking at how well my boat sits on the rollers of my trailer and it doesn't look good. In other words... it doesn't fit right, period. Is it possible to take the rollers off and put boards on instead?

5 answers to this question

First, it's a fiberglass hull which, I've heard, should have the boards instead of rollers because it helps to evenly distribute the weight instead of concentrating the weight on just a few spots on the fiberglass.

Second, it has two "runners" that go along the bottom of the boat. They are just far enough apart to make it so the boat won't fit flat on the trailer. In order for it to sit on the trailer without damaging the boat, the boat is crooked.

Not sure about the trailer questions. All I know is that it's an older trailer and was originally registered as home made (although it does have a weight limit plate attached to it that's been painted over).

I'll ditto what ST said. Many rollers have numerous setup configurations to fit all the different hulls that are up there. Also, if it is an older trailer some of the designs positioned the boat pretty high up which will make it more difficult to load with bunks on it.

Lost, its hard to give an answer without seeing your setup. If it were my rig I'd try and make the roller system work. Don't worry about the boat being glass, as long as the rollers are situated right theres no problem, in fact I can show you some pretty big and heavy boats with an all roller trailer. The rollers should be adjustable in hight and held to the trailer with brackets that can be moved on the frame. Like Steve said about adding bunks to a trailer, if the design of the trailer isn't right you may be sitting too high. If you can take a few pictures of the boat on the trailer that would help us to get a better understanding of your setup.