• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New or Used Pontoon

tadpole

Question

I was wendering what everyones thoughts were in regards to purchasing a new or used pontoon. I want to keep it up at the cabin during the summer. I get to go up around 5 weeks a year. Also a wife, 14 year old, 2 year old, and a 9 week old.

Thanks,

Tad

3 answers to this question

Will you keep it on a trailer or a lift? will the lift have a canopy? any of these will add more to the cost, for me used would do. to me a toon is a toon, they make fishing setups w/livewells, swivel seating, or lounge type with mostly couch type seating. I think the big thing is the age/upkeep and HP of the engine being enough for your needs.

My bro has a 24' set up for fishing, 40 hp 4stroke, and a bow troller. very quiet, and plenty fast for a toon. he bought used.

good luck with your search

5 yrs. ago I ran across a mint condition 20' Misty Harbor "Fish-N-Ski" pontoon. I was never a fan of pontoons other than for a relaxing ride around the lake. The bottom of the 'toons are not round like a traditional 'toons. They are square coming straight down from the deck of the boat, and rather than being round on the bottom, are shaped like an inverted "V". It was built with "hydroplane" in mind, rather than pushing a big round object through the water. It is rated to be able to accept a 155hp motor, I have a 90hp Yamaha, and am able to get 38mph out of it with just me in the boat. Granted, you can't reach over the sides and wash your hands, or be as close to the water as you can in a standard "fishing" boat,(you can up at the bow) but the way this boat cruises over the water, and the room compared to a "V" hull boat is priceless. 3-5 ft. waves that pound a V-hull boat, are barely noticeable because it "hydro's" on top of the waves. I can not say enough about how nice it is to have the amount of "usable" space a pontoon provides, but add the ability to get across the water at a fairly respectable speed is crucial. Like I said, I really lucked out finding this boat. Misty Harbor only made this style of pontoon for 2 yrs, '88, and '89. I live near Duluth, and trailer it everywhere, Mille Lacs, Rainy, Woods, Red. If you can get lucky enough to find one of these "treasures", DON'T PASS IT UP!