• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

calling bucks

I hunt with some guys that use all the latest toys for calling bucks. The cans, plastic antlers, grunts, a wet armpit, or the popular "here bucky bucky bucky" With all of the pressure out there during the weekends of gun season is it even worth trying. Does anyone out there swear by these tools?

I've rattled in numerous bucks, many huge. All that came in were in Edina or Plymouth where you can't hunt. I've never ever ever rattled in a deer where I hunt. I've had no success either with calls. I've grunted at bucks and had them run away or pay no attention. I guess if I have a buck that is leaving I like to have a call to try to bring him back but I've personally had no success with them (except suburban deer that don't get hunted). I must have bad technique...

TGUY

Here is what I think, If the buck to doe ratio is what it should be, you can rattle with success, I bowhunt were you cant gun hunt in these areas Ive had luck with the horns.

I know one thing for sure there is not a better feeling after setting down the horns shocked.gif and hearing a big boy headin in!!!

I never used to believe in them but bought one anyway, "just to see what happens". I have successfully called in two separate 8 pointers, which now hang on the wall. My biggest fear was using the call incorrectly. I thought if I did it wrong, I would do more damage than good. It appears i'm using it correctly wink.gif because it's worked. The first buck i called in snuck up behind me to check out my call. I was grunting for 30 second intervals spaced about 15-20 minutes apart. On my second set of grunts, I heard a branch snap behind me. I slowly turned and had a nice 8 pointer standing about 75 yards behind me, slowly walking my way. On the second deer I had heard walking a couple hundred yards off in the woods and new it was a deer. I blew some soft short grunts on the call, and that deer came trotting in, right into my shooting lane. Last year I grunted another one in and didn't even know it. I was grunting, same time intervals as earlier, for about 45 minutes just before lunch. After not seeing or hearing anything I decided to head in for lunch. Well, I got up to climb down for my stand, and low and behold, a big buck was behind some brush about 100 yards away. He snorted, turned, and was gone! I was able to see him long enough to see a nice set of horns on that guy. He must have come in to check out the grunting he was hearing, but wasn't too sure so he stayed off in the distance to first get a visual on me, the buck he was hearing.

I've never tried rattling, but I might give it a shot this year.

buck to doe ratio plays a huge roll.

If he thinks there might be another buck taking his ladies he wants to know who. I like "Setting up the buck" for both gun and bow

start around 1st week of october, with some dominate buck whiz around my stand, mostly 50-75 yds away. just to let him know hes not the only one around.

next I start with mock scrapes, last monday I made my first two. I believe you have to time it right with the weather. I did it last monday and refreshed them on weds because I knew I wasn't going to be there until Sunday night and it was supose to be coooold. it work well because sunday when I got back and went out it was torn up everywhere.

Now I am in phase 3 rattling and doe pee. lets them think there is a lady in the area that now not only one but 2 guys are on his girls.

once the next cold snap hits out comes the estras (doe in heat)

with the doe bleet call and some grunts mixed in.

I consider myself a VERY AGRESSIVE hunter though. exspecially with a bow.

with gun it's more estras with a drag bag and some scent wicks with some grunts mixed in for fun

just thought that I would share and see what you all think.

Deer calls work! And if you are in an area where you don't see a deer coming by every 10 minutes, it gives you something to do as well! I called in 2 spikers last year. Yeah, I know. Spikers. But I gotta believe eventually I'm going to call the wall mounter I've been waiting for.

In 1990 I called in a decent 8 pointer. And in 93, a nice wide racked 7 pointer and have called in many deer over the years since then. I can't be in the woods without one.

I've seen first-hand grunting and rattling work. The one thing I learned last season was to only rattle in cycles of probably no more than 30 seconds to a minute tops. Then set them down and look and listen. I had a doe sneak in close and watch me rattle. Embarrassing, it started stomping and snorting ruining everything.

I've also experimented with the grunt (which is easier to watch and grunt than rattling). I've found that if the deer doesn't see you that while it may not bring them in, it doesn't seem to scare them. If I expect to see deer without calling, I won't do it. I prefer stealth then, but sometimes you've got to make your own action.

I've definately had deer come in to grunts and bleats, nothing big yet but I believe it works some of the time. It does give you something to do as someone said earlier. About this time of year 2 years ago I had a small buck come in while bow hunting that I did not grunt in. I wasn't going to take him so I wanted to see how he responded to a grunt. On that deer it definately scared him away. My grunt was probably too deep and he thought he stumbled into some big bucks den. He went on alert and tried to find that other buck. When he couldn't locate him he backtracked a little bit and changed directions and trotted out of there. It was pretty interesting. It made me wonder how many deer I don't see are scared away from grunts. I have since tried to have a higher pitched grunt to simulate a younger buck.

I use a rattling bag and a bleat. They have both seemed to work for me in the past. Rattle for about 25 to 30 seconds then I let out some young buck bleats after this. Along with a few doe bleats. Depends on what I have in my drip. I usually have a drip bag hanging near my stand. If I have estrus in it I usually work more of a doe bleat. But somedays I run buck scent in it and really work more of a buck bleat. I usually only do the buck bleat if there are signs of another buck in the area. If anyone has any suggestions on my strategy I would greatly appretiate it. Thank you and hope I helped a bit.

Two things about calling, first you have to use them right and not too often. You can't sit out in the woods hammering those antlers or grunting every 6 minutes, they know that isn't right. You have to pratice the calls untill you are perfect. Get a video or two that show you the right techniques. There are also places on the 'net that show you how to it right, or at least how they are supposted to sound. For me, calls have always worked really well during bow season, or the first few days of the gun season, before the deer know the game is up. Don't call immediatly after you get into your stand, wait a while and let things settle down. Also, start out calling softly, because you don't want to scare the dump out of that big buck bedding fifty yards away. If nothing happens after calling softly, call again a bit louder after 20 minutes or so. Keep these things in mind when you are using them and you will have more sucess.

- "ted"

Good tips Ted. Another thing that has worked for me during the chase period and breeding period while using calls is a tending grunt and a rage grunt. If a big boy is around these two calls will send them in to investigate. Sometimes these bucks will leave a doe he is tending just to see who is after another doe or after his at the moment.

A buck uses a tending grunt while he is following a doe and wants to breed her. It's a series of short grunts, burp burp burp burp burp, etc. Then the rage grunt is a sound made when the doe will not stand for him, she just stands around but moves away each time he tries to breed. If you duck hunt, and can do a feeding call using the famous "tuck" then you can do this call. tuck tuck tuck tuck, then a regular buck grunt. These calls work well when you are blind calling. You can mix the two together also along with a doe bleat once in awhile.

Just remember if you dont try you will never know if it will work. There is trial and error in everything so just get into the woods and give it a shot.