• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

does size matter?

bucketmouth64

bucket. on lures ; all of the above.with the changing water temps, you just never know what will work that day. i throw a 1/8 spinner most of the time on the little lake i fish, partially do to fishing pressure. but remember that the bait fish can be larger so the bigger baits mite be the thing. try fast to slow. at times the fish will be on a reaction bite, or they may want it slow. i still use a jig a lot, but sounds like spinner baits have been doing well. you may want to try some thing like a rattle trap too. i would start with maybe a 3/8 spinner changing the speed . if nothing, maybe try a smaller one, and or color change. ( i use all most only white, or white and char.for spinner baits, but ??) you will find there are no set rules. ( part of the reason we have more than one rod rigged) don't be afraid to try a buzz bait or popper either. last fall i tried a popper for kicks. it was cold. the bass went wild on it. you have to start with a plan, but don't be afraid to try someting else too. ( do i have you confused ?? sorry !) del

sounds like a personal thing - maybe this question should be directed to your wife grin.gif

On a more serious note, don't limit yourself to one size or technique... The forage is all grown up by late fall, so bass are feeding naturally on larger food. As a general rule, I like to use some larger baits in the fall... Cold water temps. begin to come into play though and you may need to downsize when fish become less active.. Be versatile!

I find it very difficult to disagree with the Dan Man!!! laugh.gif

During the fall I usually always start big and let the fish tell me I need to go smaller if I dont get. For the same reasons dan stated that most of the bait fish are larger this time of the year. Add the fact that fish are trying very hard to gain weight as the water cools and you get big bait/big fish

Try larger spinnerbaits or rattle traps in the fall... wowza.. FISH ON!

Went fishng Wednesday and started out with big baits. Nothing, so I started to downsize and fish were beginning to hit. Caught a 19", and some 16" bass on smaller crankbaits. I switched back to a larger bait to see what would happen and the bite stopped.

I usually always start bigger and downsize if I have to. sometimes color does the trick, but not often in my experience. We have recently been using live suckers with a circle hook and a split shot. We have caught 12 inch fish with a 5 inch sucker and 5 lb fish with a 3 inch. This time of the year, get it in front of them and they bite. Man it is hard not to set the hook with that rig, but if you do, all you set the hook on is water. Just let the fish hook its self. Then its Grab the Net!!