• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Campground ideas for Ely area?

Powerstroke

I camped there 6 years ago. Nice place! I'm sure you have been to their web site, but I wish they had more pictures and a resort map. If I can find some pictures I'll post them. (There is one picture of a campsite on the web site, but I think it is their prime site IMO).

They do have some campsites right on the lake (White Iron side), across the road from the main resort (Lower left in the picture). We ended up camping closer to the main resort, and loved it. We were on the Farm Lake side with water and electric, a short walk to the lake and we had a dock for our boat. home1.jpg

As far as fishing goes, we were there during the army worm/tent catipillar cycle, so we blaimed the poor fishing on that. I think it is a ten year cycle so you should be safe.

The lakes have crazy structure! There is enough water to keep you busy for weeks. We had fun just fishing from the dock at night too. I'd post something in the BWCA/Duluth forum for some fishing info. (I don't think you will find your cats out there though)??? wink.gif

Have fun and let us know how you did!

Many of thanks to ya... I am looking forward to heading up there and wetting a line. I bet the River Pro will stand out up there LOL... The sites sound very nice. We booked a site on the lake so I can keep the boat on the water.

Cant wait.

if you dont care if you go into the BWCA ...all i have to say is Caribou point!!! very secluded and very quiet never a problem...Basswood lake..start at fall 2hours later caribou point

I love the wilderness but I want to stay out side of the area so I can use my boat.

I am so looking forward to getting back to the Iron Range. I grew up in Babbitt and have not been back there since 1982.

Well we got back last night from Silver Rapids lodge. We were there from Friday to Sunday. Well I can tell you I will not be going back there any time soon.

First off, The area is very beautiful. Don't get me wrong. However, we were camping in tents. When we got to the sites that they had for us we were just in shock. They have the camp sites so close together that you can hardly get a cooler between each other. Now that is just dump. Greed in gettin in as many camp sites as they can has just tainted the whole package. Besides no elbow room, there is no place to swim for the kids near the camp sites.. it is all sharp and slippery rocks. Plus the area they had for tenting, well if you bring a rock drill or sledge hammer to pound in the tent stakes you might be ok. Some land scaping would be nice. We like to camp out, like make a fire, sit around it and visit and maybe have a brew or two.. well we almost felt like we were in an old folks home. By 9:00 pm the place was a morgue. No one was camping.. ??? No visiting, no fires, no laughing, not even a fire work heard. Not that all that noise is wanted but wow, you could hear a cricket a mile away after dark... Plus our friends rented a pontoon boat for the day.. well, it hardly stayed running, we had to clean off the deck because it was covered with branches, leaves, dirt ect.. Then when we went for a ride and wanted to do some fishing there was not even an anchor, the prop was missing 1/2 a blade and the horn did not work along with the navigation lights. Wow. Pretty sorry excuse of a boat.

We tried to get some information on what we could do for some adventures. We were first sent over to Orr to go to the bear park. We were told it was about 45 minuet drive.. well it was more like an hour and 45 minuets, but we did see bears and that was pretty cool. Later in the year would be even better because there are many more bears, like 30-60 bears at one time.

They they talked up the wolf sanctuary and said it was somthing every one should see. Well, after paying $7.50 per person, X6. we went in and pretty much were board out of our minds. The wolves were in the woods, never did see a wolf. Many stuffed ones in side, Kinda like Cabela's but not free to see. If you wanted to stay for hours and hours to see all the movies and lectures and maybe be there at the right time the workers would lure the wolves to the area where they can be seen.

The lake was very pretty but the fishing was Bad. The fish fly hatch just came out and it was all over for the fishing. I docked the boat at the camp site on the rocks... Good thing it is a River Pro. Every boat that came by could not drive out in the lake, No, they had to drive by at mid speed, you know the Huge wake speed, and just pound my boat on the rocks. sigh sigh..

Too bad it had to be such a bummer, I was soo looking forward to spending some time in that area. Our guests were pretty much very dissapointed.

Sorry to hear about your trip. I hope your experience doesn't stop you from going back to White Iron.

We camp on White Iron every year, but do so on an island. Not much experience with Silver Rapids, except for the restaurant, which has always been good. My Uncle camps at Silver Rapids and loves it, but he's in a motorhome.

The fishing is what keeps bringing us back. Only one year was slow for us, but we still managed to have a couple meals of fish.

If you ever get back up in the area, I hope your stay is much better.

I've seen one area right by the landing, between the road and the lake. I think they have another RV area, around the other side of the resort, which I think is more rustic, but I'm not positive. We're heading up there tonight or early tomorrow A.M. We'll be on an island, but my uncle will be at Silver Rapids with his motorhome. I'll check it out and post on Monday when I get back.

I checked out the camp sites at SRL and, in my opinion, it's not worth the cost to camp there. The sites are right next to each other and are tricky to back into because of space limitations. If you have a long RV, your back end will be hanging over the rocks on shore.

On the plus side, you have a spot to park your boat right on shore, just a few feet from your site.

The beach is just a spot on the other side of the landing. The playground was tiny and pretty much in someone's camp site, so it's not a very kid-friendly place.

If you like a little room and privacy when you camp, I'd suggest elsewhere. Just my opinion, though!

Whenever I camp in the Ely Area, it's at the Birch Lake Campground down Hwy 1. I've never experienced the problems that a few of you have mentioned about kids and parties and I've been there 10+ times in a few years. It's always been very quiet for me. A lot of the campsites, nearly half I believe are on the water and I've left my boat tied up without any problems.

Dunno, guess you have to get lucky?

Another option that some people may not realize is that there are a few lakes outside of the BWCAW set up much like the BW with no charge boat-to campsites, and no permits required. A buddy and I used to do this, but a couple of years ago, someone decided to slash 2 of my tires and we haven't returned since. The Sherif said that this is actually a common problem up there with cars parked for the BW. Anyway, it's another option