• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wabigoon and Dinorwic Lakes

Have any FM'ers fished Wabigoon and/or Dinorwic lakes? Looking at possibly going there next year. Closer to MN than Lac Seul and maybe less people there. Just want to see if it's worth the while to fish there or if I have to suck it up and drive the extra miles farther north. Thanks.

I have heard good things about the fishing. There are some real hog Muskies and I have had many tell me about the huge pike. Though I have never been on the lake, I am doubting there would be less people on it then Lac Seul. The lake is practically almost right in the town of Dryden, but maybe someone else would know this for sure..

The Wabigoon chain is a lot of fun to fish. Some people are turned off by the water color--like a mix of coffee and milk. It's a clay stain and clarity is measured in inches. However, the fish seem to see fine--all the species are seriously fat. A couple of the smaller connecting lakes do have clearer water. Big walleyes, smallmouth, pike and muskie. It's not unusual to find a school of walleye in 2-4 feet on top of a reef and another school at 20-25 on the same reef. Lots of options. If the wind is blowing from the paper mill straight towards you, it can smell bad but you can usually move away from the smell. Good landings in the river in town and the government dock is also excellent. Surprisingly, the lake in not pressured in the summer. Thunder Lake across the highway is very clear and has a decent lake trout population too. Also walleyes and pike tho the walleyes are thinned down.
Best of luck if you go.

I've fished both and prefer Wabigoon. It has a knack for kicking out trophies. The biggest walleye I've seen come out of there went 36" and 22#. I've also heard rumors there are muskies in the 8' range...no kidding.

I'm skeptical of 8' muskies, however I've seen plenty in there over 60". Maybe, just maybe...

BTW, Wabigoon is much better later in the summer. If you're going to do an early trip, say May or June, Lac Suel is a better option for numbers.

------------------
Tonka Boy

A few years back on our annual Lac Seul Trek A couple of pals, My father and I went up a day earlier and fished Wabigoon for a day just for giggles. Held a sort of 2 boat tournament. Put in at the launch near the paper plant on the river and ran out into the lake and just fished out near the first group of Islands. Pulled Cranks untill we hit fish, then worked the area with snells, and jigs. While it was no Lac Seul it was pretty good fishing. With the comeback of the Muskie fishing, it may be the answer to my annual Eagle lake trip in September. I was not all that impressed with Eagles walleye fishing and if I can split up a week with Good Muskie, Walleye and throw in some Smallie action and have an A & W just down the Road I think why not?
Top it all off with some Hubers Lone Pine Schlawschlict and Dumplings and Point me to a sunny shore and let me nap!
Spike