• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bringing Liquor across the border

We are planning a family fishing trip to Vermillion Bay 08/04 . I have never traveled out of the United States and this is all new to me.
If you bring over the aloted amount of cigerettes allowed 200 per of age adult do

Also for liquor are you allowed 1-24 pk beer and 1-1.1 liter of liquor or are you allowed 1 of each?

What is Duty ? Is that like our US tax??

No you are allowed only one or the other. Duty is usually about seven dollars a case of beer or sometimes they will ask you how much the liqour costs and charge you accordingly. Also you might consider bringing your birth certificates. Sometimes they ask for them. As of last year no potatoes could be brought across either.

I would encourage you to look on the internet at Canadian Border Regulations and read them carefully. Each person should have a passport or birth certificate and a picture ID. No weapons. No radar detectors. Get an Interprovincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card from your auto insurance agent and take your policy with you. If a minor child is without both parents, have a notarized letter from the absent parent giving permission - text is available for the letter.

Nothing wrong with Canadian LaBatt's. A mighty fine beer. Last March when we were in Nestor Falls fishing, the store had LaBatt's Ice on sale for $22.00 a case Canadian. 5.6% and smooth as a baby's you know what. Kinda like to help the local people out in return for the great scenery and slab crappie fishing we get there. Usually dine out a few times, too.

I'm assuming you declare beer-more-than-a-case at the border and pay the duty there, correct? Last year in Vermilion Bay (V-Bay Lodge is a small but excellent place to stay), we paid about $29 U.S. for a case of bud, talk about sticker shock!

Which store in Nestor Falls did you see Labatt's for $22 Canadian??

Best of Luck!!