• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Time?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think is the best time of the year to plan a trip to Canada. I was up in Northwest Ontario Mid-August of this year and it was painfully hot. The fishing was the worst I've ever witnessed and the late afternoon storms ruined numerous evenings. I was thinking about trying either June or September. Any Opinions?

Dirty basser -

What are you targeting for fish? Eyes or monster pike? We did tremendous last week in Ontario (english river system) for the eyes. But we were after monster pike wich did not cooperate with us. The low water and heat made them difficult. Everything was in the narrow river channels where there was current.

Best bet for monster pike is the week before eye opener, and the last week of September to October. Pike are open year round on the english river system. I got a few pics of our trip if you want to see them.

I mainly target eyes and large pike. Traditionally I've always picked up a few large eyes on big cranks trolling for big pike. This year, like you said, was pretty inconsistent. The past two years have actually been unpleasant, but atleast last year, the walleye action was consistent. If located, I'd like to spend a little time on some lakers too. I think it's about time to switch it up a bit. Going the same time every year can get pretty monotonous. As for the pics, I'd like to see em!

Ol Dirty Basser,

My friends and I go up to LOW three to four times per year. We tend to chase eyes mainly. Here is our observation. Late May to early June fair numbers and good average size walleyes. Mid to late July, lots and lots of eyes and saugers but small size on average. Early October good average size on the eyes. Reasonable numbers, but you need to move around more for them. Great crappie fishing as a bonus.

Olddirtybasser: why not try the Red River for Walleye. We don't get excited about one unless it is over 12 lbs. There are lots in the 8 to 10 lb range in the fall. We call them greenbacks as they are the colour of our old one dollar bill in the fall when they make a run into the river for the shinners. If you are not aware of the Red River it is in Manitoba. The best spots are between Selkirk and Lockport from the 3rd wk of Sept til freeze up. There have been pics. in the 14 to 16 often every fall.

The Red sounds like a blast, but Ontario is much more feasible. The funds are limited, so Ontario is basically my only option. Anyway, if you had to pick between June or late September, which would you choose? For both numbers and size. Usually, I'd rather get into good size fish, but numbers are welcome when all is dump. Also, if you have any lakes or lodges you'd recommend, I'm accepting input.

ol'dirtybasser,

I would recommend going to Lac Seul in June. We fish the lake every june and have allways had good numbers with some nice size walleye and pike. Our last trip we were able to catch one 10 1/2 pounder with several 3-7 pound walleyes mixed in. You also have an excellent chance of catching a pike or Muskie over 20 pounds. One pike was 42 inches and caught on six pound test jigging (what a hoot). Unfortunatly we were only able to fish one day because of the forest fire. Sure would have been interesting to see what else we could have caught with a full week of fishing. I'm sure any place you choose will be fun.