• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishng Lake Granby

Hello all,
I am planning on fishing the Three lakes fishing contest at the end of January. I have fished this lake only twice and had minimal success. Any advice, opinions, or tactics are greatly needed. Thanks in advance.
Craig

Tube jigs with a very small piece of sucker meat. The bigger the scales on the piece the better and the fresher the better.My favorite color is glow white and sizes between 1.5" and 4" depending on their mood. Can't give out any spots though. I worked to hard to find them for myself. Good luck,
Dan

------------------

New fisher,

To get to the good ice fishing you really need a snowmobile unless you like to walk great distances pulling all your gear.

Try around the major islands, the flats between the islands and mainly look for structure. Lake trout love underwater ridges, humps or submerged islands. Don't be afraid to drill lots of holes until you find a productive area. Dan is right white gitzits in the 3" to 6" range work best with a small piece of sucker meat 1/4" wide by 1" long is usually enough.
I have caught all my big lakers (over 30") dead sticking. I haven't caught one big fish jigging. If you find small fish downsize your gitzit to 1 1/2" or 2" and use a wax or meal worm for bait. Concentrate on water beween 30' and 60' deep. I have caught at least 5 lakers over 30" in water that was 6 to 10' deep so they can be caught shallow.
Don't be afraid to approach other fisherman and ask questions. I don't volunteer information unless you ask. We all had help from others when we were learning.

Chewy,
Thanks a lot for the advice. I have heard of gitzit jigs but not familiar with them are they just tube jigs? Once again thank you for the advice and you are right about learning from other people.
Craig

Craig-
You're right about Gitzits - it's a brand name. If I remember correctly (which I often don't) the Gitzit was the original tube jig developed by Gary Garland. At least that's the legend as I recall it! You can see them at canyonplastics.com and compare with the brand you're using.

I haven't ice fished Granby yet (this will be my first year as well) but for what it's worth on Labor Day I was catching some macks in Arapahoe Bay. I believe I was close to Sunshine Point. I've driven the road back through there and if I remember correctly, there is a pullout there. It may be a little hairy getting down and up the mountainside but it puts you in a good fishing spot...sounds like you're going to need to spend a few weekends up there "scouting it out"

Well I would love to do some scouting trips but I have one problem I live in South Texas. The plane tickets are way too expensive from here to Colorado Springs. If anyone else has any information please let me know. Thanks for all your advice.
Craig

For what it's worth. Fished Granby 12/31 from 8am until 11am. I fished out from Sunset in 8', 16', 24' and 30' of water. I caught 10 or 12 small mack's ( 12"-16" ) on a white tube and sucker meat. I prefer to jig with spoons but couldn't get any mack's to hit my spoon. I typically fish off of the Circle H hump but didn't have the time last Wednesday. <'))<

I fished Lake Granby Thursday through Saturday. The ice is between 6" and 10" thick. I stayed within 300 yards of shore most of the time but did drive my snowmobile from Stillwater across to Elephant island. Two of us caught and released nearly 50 macks and rainbows. Biggest Mack was 24 1/2" and the biggest rainbow was 18 1/2". We kept a couple rainbows for dinner and let the rest go.

The lake developed a slush layer because of the ammount of snow that fell over the weekend and the warm temperatures during the day. The recent cold spell should harden all the slush and increase the ice thickness. The lake should be safe for all fisherman this weekend. I will be fishing the south side of Elephant island Saturday. I have a polaris snowmobile and will be fishing out of my Frabil XL Twin or my yellow/white Pulse tent. Stop by and say hello. Good fishing..
Chewy.

lucky7
I have a tent like your's and I took It back to T A Pelsue in Denver and had them sew some loops in each corner half way up from the bottem on all four corners then I use the 12" spiral spikes used for landscaping to anchor into the ice. Use channel locks to unscrew spike when done fishing. If it's wendy when setting up I tie one rope to a spike to keep the tent from blowing away. Secure all loops on top and middle with rope. I haven't lost it yet.

I attached rope to the three anchor points provided on the Pelsue 6x6 I own and use 12" landscape spikes/nails and drive them into the ice with a claw hammer. You can use the claw to pull the spikes from the ice. I also take a shovel and clear a 6'x6' area for the tent and pile the snow I've removed over the flaps at the botten three sides of the tent. This will keep the tent from lifting.
I set the back of the tent to the wind and if the wind is really strong I tie the back rope to my snowmobile. The only problem I've had over the years is if the wind changes direction and comes at the opening. There is no tie down there and I have had the tent blow over my head (at 11-Mile). Fortunately the spike at the back of the tent held. There are new anchor systems out. I bought a device from Frabil that anchors an ajustable bar into a hole you drill with your auger. I noticed that Cabellas has a similar anchor system as well.

I use the 12" spirals spikes also, but mine have an eyelet at the top. I start it into the ice with a 4lb. maul, and then use a long screwdriver through the eyelet like a T-handle and screw it into the ice (and unscrew it the same way). I usually only have to sink one, but on very windy days I have used two and even three.

You might check out Cabela's. I saw in the Christmas catalog they had a gizmo that is spring loaded--you drill a hole 2-3" into ice, stick the gizmo in the partial hole and release the spring, which sinks two spikes into the sides of the hole. Looks like a good one, but it was around 20 bucks, so it gets expensive if you use two or three...

Botom, Reg, and Chewy:

Thanks for the help! I will try your advice this weekend. By the way I had custom 10x10 made by Pelsue ($1200) It is a nightmare! Too big to open by myself...It would be great for guys who always fish with a buddy....huge on the inside. If you ever hear of someone that would benefit I might cut my losses.

------------------
lucky7

lucky7
Forgot to say that on the inside of the tent in each corner I pound a spike into the ice and tie wrap it to the frame. This also helps to keep the front corners from moving around. The biggest improvement was sewing loops half way up on the corners to tie the front & back down. Mine also has loops on the top of each corner. Hope this helps.

Botmbouncer,

I think I may do the same and have a friend that has a shoe repair business sew a couple of tabs in the front and around the sides like you have. I like the idea of tabs at the bottom of each corner to stake down. I had my friend sew reinforced pockets at the bottom corners where the poles sit. I had a pole push through the pocket. It's to bad Pelsue wants so much for their tents. I was lucky and found a brand new pelsue 6x6 at a flea market and got it for $25.00 I know the guy selling the tent did not know what he had. It was probably hot!!!

I think when I priced the 6x6's a few years ago they where $370.00 each. I was in a 10x10 last weekend and it was like sitting in my living room. The guy told me he payed around $800.00 for that tent.

I have the Frabil ultra lite one man and don't know what I did without it, its light fast and couldn't be more mobile. Perfect in my oppion for one person

I know your dilema, L7! Couple of years ago I bought a used, large 2 man Clam (I have fished 3 in it fairly comfortably, too). Great shack, except when you are alone. I took it by myself to 11 mile once and almost couldn't get it back to my truck! I keep thinking about getting a one man flip style...

I was at Granby again this weekend and caught a slew of macks between 16" and 20". There must be millions of macks that size in Granby. Fun to catch but would like to see bigger fish. I fished from 13' to 60'. The largest fish were caught in less than 15' of water. I haven't caught a mack above 30" in over two years. I wonder how the regs change has effected the number of big fish being taken out (no slot restrictions)and the lack of food(kokes) the last two years. The recent stocking of almost 2 million kokes will help in the long hall but not this season. Good fishing!

Chewy,

Same for us this weekend. We killed the small fish, but nothing big at all. I'd be happy to catch a 25 inch fish out of there. Compared to the last couple of years have you noticed the fish are a lot skinnier now??? I used to go there because the 18 inch fish (favorite to eat) would be quite thick. All the fish we got this weekend were snakes.

Eric,

I was fishing in shallow water (about 13') just south of the old Circle H bed and breakfast(now Magnelana's I think) at the end of a point (muddy bottem lots of crayfish).
The bigger macks (18" to 20")and rainbows 16" to 18" we caught there. I drilled at least 40 holes at various locations around the lake. I have a snowmobile so its not a problem to move. I fished various locations and only caught "dinks" small macks under 18". There are lots of spots to fish without a snowmobile...but they all require some walking. Make sure that if you fish from either Sunset Point or Stillwater that you stop and buy a day pass (five bucks I think).

Chad,

Yes, the Macks are very thin. The Kokanee population crashed a couple of years ago and the Macks had very little to feed on. I caught a Mack two weeks ago in 7' of water that was 29 inchs and I'll bet it didn't weigh 6lbs. Normally that Mack would weigh closer to 8 or 9lbs or more. If people put back the fish over 26" and the DOW continue to heavily stock Granby with Kokes the size should really improve quickly.