• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

KG school of good will

IFallsRon

Report: KG sucker punches Rick Rickert during pickup game
September 1, 2004 KG0902

Apparently, Timberwolves star Kevin Garnett doesn't like to be scored upon, especially by rookies he's guarding.
Garnett reportedly sucker punched former University of Minnesota standout Rick Rickert last week during a pickup game at the Target Center, according to reports in Wednesday's editions of the Washington Post and the Pioneer Press.
Rickert suffered a cut that required seven stitches to close, as well as a chipped tooth, the Post reported.
The fracas began after Rickert scored repeatedly while Garnett was guarding him, the Post reported. Several other players began to tease Garnett about being outplayed. Rickert scored once more, and Garnett then threw the punch, the Post reported.
Despite the damage, Rickert returned to practice the following day to work out with the same players, the Pioneer Press reported.
The Wolves selected Rickert during the second round of the 2003 draft. The Press reported that Rickert still has a chance to make the Wolves' team.

Ya OK you bet. Call me crazy if I dont believe it. The best defender in the entire league that Ive watched shut down the best players game after game cant guard a kid in his second year that wouldnt have been drafted if it werent for the T-wolves feeling sorry for him. Walters is so full of sh*t. Look back in the archives of his articles,over 50% of it is fantasy.

I will try to leave out my personal feeling about Rickert on this one. I find it hard to believe that Rickert was scoring on Garnett. Even if he was I find it hard to believe Garnett would haul off and hit him.

Update:

This is just a quote I got from another HSOforum. I have no idea if there is any truth to this or not. Just figured it was another view on the topic.

"take this for what u will but a poster on this other board was there and this is what he said:"

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."

[This message has been edited by Granny (edited 09-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Granny (edited 09-02-2004).]

I played ball against Rickert and I watched him play a few highschool games and yes he is a head case. He's got a nice shot but a very poor work ethic. That showed when he tried to play defense at the U of M. If Garnett did hit him, he probably deserved it.

Granny

One can only take so much.

Here's a little story.....
In Rickert's Sr. year in HS I went to watch a regional tourney game in which my old school was playing. We sat behind members of another team that were in Rickert's conference. At the time, Rickert was being hyped up as the next best thing to come out of Minnesota, so it was only natural that everyone was talking about him. Anyhow, these other players started discussing how big of an a-hole jerk he was. How all he knew how to do was talk trash and how he loved to just rub salt into the wounds of the loosing team. They couldnt stop talking and laughing about how they diddnt think he would ever make it at the pro level and how his attitude was a huge issue.

IF he's as big of a head-case as what they said as well as what other sources have said, I don't blame KG one bit. The guy's the MVP, and in the NBA that means respect, especially from a pee-on like Rickert.