• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is there a butcher in the house?

I got a video from the library last night on how to butcher deer... I have done it myself before, but a lot of meat ended up as burger.. So I wanted to be able to identify the chice cuts better other than the backstraps and tenderloins.

Turns out I learned a ton, on which were the most tender cuts and how to get them out.. I found out I was doing it well before just not saving the right cuts for steaks and roasts...

NOW- this video stated the importance of AGING the deer. The video stated for a smaller deer proper ageing was 2 weeks and for an adult buck up to 3 weeks if the temps were good. And that if it was warmer you aged it less.. but never really stated what temps that was...

My question.. at what point is it too warm to be ageing the meat... I would think with the days getting to 70, that meat would spoil quite quickly?

Thanks!

Use a meat thermometer and insert in the hind quarters or in the thick areas of the animal. If you can keep the internal temp of the meat between 32 and 35 degrees it can hang and age well.

The hide can act as an insulator keeping the meat cool as the temps warm during the day. This is a good thing to keep in mind if the night temps get cool enough to allow you to hang a deer for a period of time. If the hide is kept on it can also be used as protection against the meat drying out as well as keeping the meat more sanitary.

Also

Try to avoid using water to wash out the deer unless the deer was gut shot or you have cut something you should'nt have while gutting the animal water can cause spoilage. Letting the blood from the animal dry and seal the meat is the best thing you can do when possible. Blood is pure.

Just my .02 cents

HC

I'm not a butcher, but I've been processing my own deer for more than 20 years. I usually do 5-8 deer a season.

Aging does benefit deer. However it is not nearly as noticeable as with other meat we eat like beef. Marbled cuts of meat get the most benefit from the aging process. Since venison has very little marbling in it the benefit is less noticeable. I've let them hang for 2+ weeks and I've let them hang over night. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Usually the best thing you can is make a good quick killing shot. Then get the animal gutted and cooled down as soon as possible. Down south they often bone the deer out right away and soak it in a cooler full of icewater to do this. But here in MN I pull the hide off as soon as I can if it's cool outside. If it's warm I'll leave the hide on and pack the deer cavity full of ice blocks. It's amazing how fast it'll cool down and stay cool.

If you take care of it you'll have great tasting meat.

Borch

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 10-12-2004).]

The key is to leave the animal natural if you can and let it air dry, the blood won't hurt a thing. But, if there are other impurities like gut or urine leaking then you best wash the cavity out.

I used to work for a butcher and have seen and learned alot of good things from him. Meat handling from some of our customers was terrible. For example; They would bring in carcasses that were not gutted all the way or were not cooled properly and just plain reaked. YUCK!

I don't understand why some people don't take better care of the animal.

HC