• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer sounds

Just wanted to pass on to all of you that read this... This morning, 11/05/03, I was out bowhunting. At 0800 I had lowered my bow down from my stand and was planning on leaving and setting up in a better spot for the afternoon. I took one last look around and looked at my watch again and thought, it's only 0800...I should stick it out just a little longer and see if anything moves. Well sure enough, just as I decided that I was going to get down, I hear, crunch, crunch in the snow behind me and to my right. I looked and saw and nice 6 pointer coming down the trail that I was watching! I quickly pulled my bow back up and looked over to where the deer was...he was just stepping into a shooting lane I had cut at 20 yards! By the time I had my arrow nocked, he was in some brush and I didn't have a shot! Now he was walking straight away from me and I blew on my grunt call. The deer stopped and looked my way but he continued on straight away from me. I blew on my grunt call one more time with the same results. The buck freshened up a scrape about 60 yards away from me and I thought...what am I going to do? I decided to snort or blow air out like deer do when they are alramed. When I did, that deer stopped dead in his tracks and turned right around and looked in my direction for about 2 minutes! I thought to my self, your've got nothing to lose, so I blew air one more time. That deer made a bee line right back to me! This time I was ready! I shot him at 10 yards and dropped him in his tracks as he was following my foot prints right to my tree! This is the 2nd time this has worked for me when a deer was out of range and wouldn't responed to my grunts. At that point you've got nothing to lose! Hope this helps one of you some day. Good luck bowhunters! And best of luck to you rifle hunters this weekend! Please, pass on your stories!

Mike Fox

Hey, great story!

Welcome abord Fishing Minnesota.

That seems like a very gutsy thing to do, but obviosly it worked for you. I guess I would be reluctant to try that because it is an alarm sound, but, perhaps he was running in your direction because he thought there was another deer there who knew about some impending danger.

You must have made a heck of a shot if it dropped in its tracks. Good job.

That is actually not a bad thing to do this time of year. A doe in heat will make a very similar sound to her warning call when she is in the mood. It is actually very common. Have you ever been in your stand and had a doe blow her warning call but you know there is no way she winded you and she never saw you? Well this is why in some cases...she is looking for some action. Good job with the deer, I am glad it worked out for you!

huskminn, the reason my deer dropped in his tracks was because I shot him thru the spine. I know it's not the best shot...it was the only one I thought I was going to get as the buck was walking straight in on my tracks to my tree! Again, I have to say, when the is out of range and moving further away, you've got nothing to lose by giving the blow "alarm' sound!

Grayingfox

I tried your little trick last night as I was scouting a place to put a stand. (Iowa bow season) No camo, no grunt tube, just my bow just in case. I seen two deer 300 yards out in a field, as I was squatting along the timber edge in the first row of short weeds and thought what the heck. I blew once and they v lined straight to me about 40 yards away. They just stood there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what I was. I am pretty sure that they winded me and then ran off. One I am sure was a button buck as it was a little bigger than the other.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm a huge believer and user of grunts, snorts, and bleats. They have, without doubt, given me many a deer. I've brought does within 20 feet of me, squating on the ground in orange, in a bean field by using a bleat. I've also brought bucks in to close range from 200 yards out by using grunts.

It works!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!