• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scrape

last weekend me and my younger brother were out putting up a couple of bow stands and we came across a fresh scrape. it was about 2-3 feet long and bout 2 or so feet wide. it had some tracks in it also. i was wondering if that was make by a big buck or doesnt the size really matter. also i took my foot and made a make shift scrape by my stand and the next moring there were tracks in it. does the fresh dirt attract them, or why were they walking in the dirt?

It's a shooter Hunterlee. Small bucks make attempts at scrapes and they often look like a V with the legs of the V not more than probably 6" wide and the overall length of the scrape around a foot long or so.

Be careful not to step on the scrape or even near it if you have to, but have a good look at this scrape if you can. Also don't walk on this deer trail if you don't have to either. Look to see if there's an overhanging branch over the scrape. I'd bet a 5 spot on it that there is. Look closer to see if any of the twigs on this branch have been nibbled off. Bucks use scent glands on their head and in their mouth to leave their mark. They oftentimes lick the branch above a scrape and bite some of the branches off. Generally, the more meticulous the scrape and size of the scrape show the experience (maturity) of the buck.

I've found scrapes with branches over them that look like someone took a hedge trimmer to the branch. Every twig was nibbled off perfectly at the same height. Look around the area. My rule is decent size scrape + at least 1 tree 3" in diameter or more with a rub = 8 point or better. Now the scrapes you could park a Datsun in....that'd be your monster buck.

Setup down wind of the scrape. Don't mess with the scrape or he'll abandon it. Good luck!

To the hunt!!

------------------
"When the hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20' closer to God"
-Fred Bear

My rule of thumb is if you find a scrape now, set up a stand and hunt it as soon as possible. I've seen several bucks visit the same scrape. Just because a small buck made the scrape, doesn't mean a big one won't come in and take it over. Hunt that sucker ASAP, especially if there's other buck sign in the immediate area. Once they start actively chasing does, most scrapes get abandoned. Within the last week, the guys I bowhunt with and myself have started seeing alot of bucks, they're definitely on the prowl.

bmc