• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coon Rapids Dam Carp Contest

You can pay $20 on the day of the contest. You win a 12-foot Jonboat with an outboard motor for first prize. But there are a bunch of dudes coming over from England to catch the big carp, better come with your secret big-carp bait. Show them limeys that Americans know how to catch big carp too!

Hey Gents,

I'll be working this event.

In recent years, I think things have gone pretty well, but it could always be better. If you have fished in this contest before, please feel free to give me any pointers on how to improve the event.

This year we have another CARP MOBILE for the 2nd prize adult winner. I think it is a mid-90's mini-van with a professionally airbrushed carp on the sides of it. If you dig carp, this vehicle is the shi-zizzle!!! There is also a kids division with lots of cool stuff to win.

Note: The river is a bit high and some 'old haunts' may be under water, so you may want to scope the area a bit closer to the event.

Thanks Failin... I do know the water is much higher this year than it was last year. But they do open the dam so the water level drops so people can fish from shore instead of climbing the trees for a spot to fish. I haven't caught a thing down there this year. Do I really want to enter the contest?

Sorry it took so long to respond mnfisher...

We just finalized the entire prize list and it is posted on the 3 rivers link that is mentioned above.

The kids grand prize is a new bmx or mountain bike (I can't remember which variety it is but it's nice). For the kid's smallest fish, a nice camera. Other prizes include fishing rod, drop slot kits, free passes to Bunker Beach Water Park, etc.

The adults grand prize is a new lund jon boat with a four stroke, four horse suzuki motor and trailer - great for the river or duck hunting. Of course the #2 prize is the carp mobile. This year we have a brand new we-no-nah canoe and the prize for the smallest carp in the adult category...complete with a life jacket and two paddles....other cool adult prizes to check out the web site link above.

Update: While the water is up a bit, there is a ton of fishable shoreline at the contest area....but to date there are less people registered then in previous years (stinks for the parks, but increases your chances of winning). If you go, be good and have fun!!!

Pete (aka Failin')

I just picked up a copy of the prize list today. I can't wait to see if I win anything! I'm hoping that I can at least place somewhere in there since all winners receive 5 free passes into Underwater Adventures. I've gotta get down there with my fishing gear.

Well, the fish weren't biting much at all. What a bummer. Once again, I didn't even get a bullhead. This year they didn't allow people to fish the main channel just below the dam. That was my first choice spot. My second choice was already occupied. I did have one quick bite but it let go immediately.

Even the true carpies out there weren't having much luck with all their fancy gear.

Our first choice was closed to fishing, also. We were VERY surprised at the start. We ran to our spot, get there, and there are 2 guys already set up, lines in the water, sitting in their lawn chairs, smoking a cig. There was NO way that these 2 clowns started from the dam when the horn started. They didn't want to argue and left...

We had an average day fishing. We caught 15-20 and weighed 7 or 8. Our group had the 4th smallest junior fish, 3rd, 4th and 5th in juniors and 6th in adult.

We had 2 fish hit just as the horn blew. They took lots of line, got into a snag and broke off. Those were the biggest fish of the day, for us, by far. Neither of us could turn them or do anything. I think even if we would have had an hour, we would have had a tough time landing those fish.

We also lost severl fish that hit our lines, tangle in lines from others fishing across from us. The folks across from us jerked their lines till ours broke off. Oh well...

Today, we went out to our big fish spot north of St Cloud. We caught 5 fish. The biggest was a 22 lb and the smallest a 16. Go figure.

Oh well, maybe next year...

Tom B

It was kinda slow down there on saturday. The winning fish was 14lbs...and it came in within the first two hours of the event.

barnyard - I met those guys back at the registration table. They told me that when they register that morn', no one told them they had to start with the other 500+ people assembled on the power deck (ever heard of the phrase, 'you can't con a con-man')...In my opinion, they took a calculated risk in trying to sneak out there right before the start of the event...thanks for dealing with them (they said you said you would 'rat them-out' if they stayed - thank you)...I ended up refunding their money...didn't want to deal with them...and they went home without a chance to win anything...

That was me trying to keep concrete under everyone's feet before the contest started.

Thanks to everyone who participated. Very few negative incidents...a credit to those in attendance...about 800 anglers, 5,000 total guests (I'm guessing here)...

Thanks,
Phalen

PS-This may be a can of worms, but "how can I improve this event in the future?" I've heard, more fishable area (somewhat weather dependent), more and better prizes (I agree - I'll work on it)...anything else

Phalen,

It didn't occur to us till after they left, that they did know the rules. They fished the same spot last year and recognized me and the others in my group. They were reprimanded for using a handsaw to trim tree limbs (last year.)

As far as improving the contest... I was really, really, really disappointed that our spot was not inside the legal fishing area. If it was because of a lack of volunteers, you might contact the local service clubs for help (Jaycee's, Rotary, Lion's Club, etc.)

I would also contact Berkley (Pure Fishing) and WalMart for kid's prizes. For other events that I have worked, those 2 businesses typically donated enough stuff for every kid entered.

As far as more prizes... there are already prizes for 10 places in both divisions... That's a decent "payout," I think. If you can get more, great, but I think improving the Kid's pak, so that all the young participants "win" is more important than more prizes.

As far as non fishing events, how about a "carp buggy" parade for kids. Just like a doll buggy parade, but fish themed.

How about a Miss Carp or Queen Carp contest...

For us, Carp Fest is a pure family event and anything that is added to make it more of a family event is a huge plus for me.

Tom B

PS This year we had 11 people in our group. Everyone had fun and is looking forward to next year.

I was there catching nothing but sun-rays and people fishing with two, even three, rods at a time. I quickly had my girlfriend go and tell someone that looked official. She did just that.

Didn't get to meet you guys. Too bad. I didn't actually get there until about 8:30. Wanted to be there by 7:30 but had to wake everybody else up. I should have just left them at home. Hehe.

My top spots were taken by the time I got there. I wish we could have fished just below the dam. That was my first choice but it said "No Fishing". Bummer.

So, is there a list of winners and the sizes of the fish?

Suggestions on improving the Festival/Contest? Well, when they donate a Carp-Mobile, one with less mileage and no rust on it would be a great start! I think the prizes this year were fair. Although, if I would have won the golfing package, I would have no clue what to do with it since I don't golf. Maybe a choice between the prize and a cash payout would be an improvement.

Definitely more kids activities! I listed to the music from a distance and there didn't seem to be much for the kids in that area. Get some kid-specific group out there to play songs they'd be familiar with?

With everything being donated, I would say that "beggars, can't be choosers," rules have to apply.

I don't mind that the van is high mileage. I suspect that if people complain, Coon Rapids Plymouth will pull the plug. I am tickled to death that they donate a van, period.

I would also add, that as a former business owner, if someone came to me with a prize that I donated and said that they wanted cash instead, I would have said, "tough **** " and probably never donated to the event again.

Tom B

Forgot to add... I did win the van 3 years ago. I drove it for the summer and then we gave it to my father in law for X-mas. He is still driving it and loves it to death. (I am pretty sure that it has over 150,000 miles on it by now.)

Tom B