• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chubs

Has anyone ever fished for chubs? I know a lot of them live in the Vermillion river in Hastings near the dam but I'm not sure how to catch them. Would the same rig for suckers work with a small piece of worm? I've heard the're a better bait for catfish and other fish than suckers from a bait shop are.

Chubs are a fine Catfish bait either cut or alive. I look for chubs in small warm water creeks miles up from the main river. They behave much like trout and will smack my white Flu Flu as soon as it hits the water. Try any small hair jig or plastic grub about a foot below a light bobber. Of course Crawlers will work also. Be sneaky! They are very spooky. Catch a few and move on.

Catching the Chubs is (almost but not quite) as fun as the catching the Cats. Good Luck!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I used to fish a small farm creek in southern minnesota all the time for them and my best bait was a little chunk of nightcrawler. They are very voracous so just about anything will work, I have used grasshoppers, waxies, hot dogs, even pepperoni and caught them. They work awesome for cats and you might be suprised that the walleyes really nail some of the bigger ones.><>
deadeye

Hi mnfisherman,

Try Berkley Power Wigglers-- those artificial waxworm shaped plastics. Chubs jump all over 'em, and you won't need to rebait every two seconds. You might also try a double dropper rig, tied with a Duncan loop or dropper loop knot, which allows you to fish two Power Wigglers at once. Don't think you can do this (legally) with livebait, but with plastics you can. Two at once means double your fun, and double the fullness of your baitbucket in a hurry!

-a friend called Toad

Try a cast net. Just wind up and throw it anywhere that looks like it might hold fish. Once you figure it out you won't go without bait on a river or stream again.

It's also legal anywhere but in designated trout streams.

Actually Toad, I asked the DNR and to use 2 baits. (I'm thinking you got that from the part where you are allowed to use up to 3 artificial flies when fishing for trout, sunfish, etc. correct?) If so they MUST be flies, so a jig or wiggler doesn't cut it. At least that is what I was told. Just some info.