• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waubay, South Dakota

Has anyone ever jumped the boader and fished this lake for perch? If so, please write me back and tell me what you thought. Going to my cabin on Traverse this weekend and thinking of trying this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Waubay can be very good for perch. The limit is 10 perch. Sounds like fishing has been on and off up there this winter.

Waubay fishing report(Courtesy of Doug, Randy or Paul at Sportsmans Cove, Webster, SD) Ice conditions are good. Fishermen having a good bite for perch, mostly in 22-24 feet of water. Perch seemed to be schooled up. Most fishermen trying the Duck Island and South Waubay. Also good action by the Grenville boat landing. Later in the evening the best, 8pm or 9pm or so. Also some good fishing success reported on Reetz as well as on Pickerel, and Lynn.

IFISHSD.
Are Peetz, pickerel and lynn lakes in the area? I have a cabin on Traverse and don't want to drive too far to find perch. also, is walleye season still open in S.D.? One other thing, what are the perch biting on? waxes, minnows? Thanks for any help you could send my way.

Reetz, Lynn and Pickeral are all near Webster. Actually Pickeral would be the closest to you. I would use minnow for the perch, as that ups your odds of getting some walleye. The fishing has been pretty good all year and I just got another great report from Waubay. Most lakes have special regs so check them out before you hit the lakes, especially Reetz.

Its not uncommon to catch 15+" perch in Reetz. The only problem is that you can only keep one. It is a lot harder to catch the perch under 10" than over. I guess in a way that is a good thing if you dont want a big meal. There are also some large walleyes in there. I caught a fat 25" pig there overr Christmas. We were about a half mile out in 16 fow.

Slab

For perch I would try both wax worms and minnows. Sometimes they like one better than the other. Remember in South Dakota you can use 4 lines through the ice. So try different lures or set out a couple of tip-ups. I have caught some of my biggest perch a big fat-head minnow with a swedish pimple under my tip-up.

Reetz Lake is 5 miles south of the town of Webster. It does have special regs. Five perch daily limit with one perch over 10 inches. Makes fishing fun. They are big ones in there. Caught a 14 inch one last winter and quite a few 12 inch ones.

Lynn Lake is 10 miles west of Waubay lake. If you want Crappies Pickerl lake is the place to go. Big Crappies were biting up there.

[This message has been edited by ifishsd (edited 02-25-2003).]