• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summer Sausage ? For Ken w

I haven't used liquid smoke for awhile.....I now use powdered smoke. Gives the same taste every time instead of guessing how much and how long to smoke sausage. Nowadays almost all sausage commercially made is made with liquid smoke. For them using a smokehouse is fooling around. Easier and much faster than using a smoker. Plus pollution is cut way down.

You need to add 1 tsp liquid smoke for every 5 lbs. of sausage. Add it to the water you add,then  pour it in. I still use my smoker but only for cooking it.  

Let us know how you do with it.

Edited by KEN W

I haven't used much for liquid smoke either but was thinking on trying a batch myself. I've always used the smoker but leaning on using the oven this time around for more even heat, since I do not have a roaster. Thanks guy's, for sure let us know how it turns out Jim.

I really love the flavor of Schmidts summer sausage down in Nicollet, Mn. I told my brother that I believe they have to use liquid smoke due to the fact you don't get the smell on your hands like I do with my summer sausage. I just might have to give it a try this upcoming week. Too cold to fire up the smoker. I will post up with the results.

I've  used liquid smoke many times in making summer sausage, just be sure to mix it in well or you can really get strong and weak flavor, after that it all is good. The oven is more constant  in heat.  Have fun experimenting.:)

You can always cold smoke and finish in oven.

Yeah too cold to use the smoker. The only way I have been able to use  an electric smoker when it is this cold is to bring it into the entry way for an hour to warm it up. I will be making a bunch of sausage and hot dogs next week. So I will be using powdered or liquid smoke and either cooking them in the oven or turkey roaster in a hot water bath.