• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Duff, what do you think?

leech~~

On the List now. Good for back country camping? Can be used as a Machine gun firing platform as well!  :D

VINTAGE US MILITARY SCOW SLED...UNUSED... - $120 (EXCELSIOR) hide this posting unhide

condition: like new

QR Code Link to This Post

I am selling my vintage us military scow sled....great for the outdoors...us it to transport your ice fishing gear to the ice house on the lake...it has a hard shell bottom with wood runners and very heavy canvas...it is about 7.0' long and about 20.0' wide...can also be used to transport a person in need for rescue mission... Big 200-lb. capacity! As used by winter combat patrols for carrying their equipment or for evacuation when faster means are not available. Sled is ideal for transport of tents, stoves, fuel, rations, weapons and ammunition. May be used as a firing platform for machine guns in deep snow. And this sled is useful in the evacuation of casualties. Wood runner boards on bottom Side, front and rear metal U-bolts for attachment points or towing Canvas cover (with rope cinch) for camouflage, to hold contents in place and to protect them from the elements. Tow harness included200-lb. capacity88"l. (over 7 1/4'), 23"w. Fairly light at 33 lbs., 11 oz. Condition: New, never issued but will show signs of long-term storage.

00x0x_4LLbB1e8Up8_600x450.jpg

00i0i_4LqkyMAsMIJ_600x450.jpg

I don't know leech,  pulling conditions were decent, but that doesn't mean much when you are out of shape and in your 40's. He brought way too much. And it's already over 30 lbs before it's even loaded. We didn't go very far........less than 3 miles.  We made frequent stops and I thought to myself it would make a great evacuation sled should one of us drop. *chuckle*

We had an ice storm during the trip and the way back to the trucks was a breeze. My toboggan turned sideways with the wind at our backs and literally kept pace with me at times. That's 100 lbs traveling on its own. :)

I thought his sled was pretty cool and would hold up a lot nicer than a kids sled,  I might have tackled something like that 25 years ago, but I will stick with my toboggan these days.

I recommend the Emsco 66" sleds for those starting out with winter camping or if you are looking for a more heavy duty plastic kids sled for pulling gear out ice fishing. The thing with a toboggan or a sled like an Emsco is that you are looking for a skinny sled that will fit in your snowshoe tracks. The heavy duty ice fishing sleds are a little too wide for that and are best pulled by a snowmobile.

And it seems like you can find the Emsco's on clearance late winter if you keep your eyes out for them.  I've seen them for as low as $25.

Edited by Duffman

6 hours ago, Powerstroke said:

I saw those sleds advertised on the Ely surplus store page. I don't remember what they wanted for one. Seems about 20lbs too heavy, but the thing would be durable. 

I did some Googling and found out the Sportsman WH was selling a bunch of them also but they were sold out so the on-line price wasn't showing anymore. Some Army supply Serg must have final opened the warehouse on the end and found a ton of them as they were for sale on a few outdoor supply stores.