• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bunk vs. Roller Trailer, for light 16.5' Boat ??

Cobber

Afternoon, all-

Recently picked up my first boat, and it's a light 16.5' Aluminum Boat, Single Console. (Crestliner Kodiak), and a 25hp 4 Stroke.

The boat came with a Bunk Trailer, and I've only ever had real experience with rollers (on my dad's boat).

I can get a good price on a set of take-off rollers to replace my bunks with for around $100 (somebody went from rollers to bunks), but do I want to do this?

What are the big positives / negatives of the bunk trailer? Would you stick with it or change to rollers, like I'm considering?

Another variable is that I'll be fishing alone or with my 6 year old most of the time- so what would be best to load alone?

Thanks!

Cobber

For a light boat like that, I like rollers. Works well on my  Rebelss, which is basically the same boat as yours. Depends a LOT of where you launch....my opinion. Bunks are more popular down south than up here in river country.

Bunk trailer pros:
If bunks are CORRECTLY set up, there is more/better support on the hull. Can be more important on foam core boats, as the rollers can leave "dimples" in the hull, according to some. An aluminum, I sure wouldn't worry.
Less maintenance over the long term fora bunk trailer.

Bunk trailer cons:
If you are trying to launch or retrieve your boat during low tide or on a lousy, short ramp, you will have problems, as you truly have to "float the boat" on for the most part.

Roller trailer pros:
Easier to launch, retrieve boat during low tide or a bad ramp, and by yourself.
Hence the term ez-loader.  Rolls right off. ;)

Roller trailer cons:
Usually cost more than bunks, initially. 

More maintenance on rollers, arms.... More moving parts. Must be set up properly. You CAN get the boat askew on rollers if rollers are too "deep" in the water. I have the "shorty" stainless steel boat roller guides at the trailer end, helps a lot when windy and loading alone.

So, that's my views. Good luck!

My understanding is that rollers are better at crummy landings/ramps because you can more easily push the boat off or winch it on.  If the ramp has deep water bunks might be better since the boat floats off and can be driven on the trailer.   Bunks are also very important for glass boats since they don't deal well with concentrated stress. 

I'd stick with what you've got and only change it if you have major problems.  Every boat and trailer is a bit different and can have it's quirks so give it a little time before you change anything.  

It's a great excuse too.  "Hey Honey we're going to go work on the trailer at Lake X today, see you before dark".  You're not fishing you're working!

Edited by leechlake