• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

06 Mariner wont start

My daughters mariner won't start after it sits for a few (6 last time) days. The battery is less than 2 yrs old, alternator less than 1 yr old. After I jumped it I took it to the shop and both tested good. Any ideas? Does the compustar remote start create a slow draw when it sits? Anything else draw when sitting? No lights were left on, all doors were closed tight.

Thanks,  stickjiggler

The only way to see if there is a draw is to test for a draw. Acceptable draw is less than .050 amps.

You will need a DVOM capable of measuring amperage. Make sure nothing is plugged into the accessory outlets and remove the keys from the ignition. Remove the positive cable from the battery. Install one lead of you meter on the battery post. Install the other on the cable end and wait at least 30 minutes. Initially you may see something like .4 amps and then it will progressively drop as all the modules power down. Ideally you would like to see less than .025 amps. If your still above .050 after a half hour than you will need to start pulling fuses. DO NOT OPEN THE DOORS WITH THE METER HOOKED UP IN SERIES. Meters are usually fused at 5 amps and it doesn't take much to blow a fuse.

Typically I like to start with radio, power seat, heated seats, power mirrors and interior light fuses. Those seem to be more common. if you pull a fuse and then reinstall it and see a spike in amperage wait 30 minutes. You likely woke up a module and it will need to power down before proceeding.