• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

input needed!

triggertrav

Has anyone had any luck with herd management with the neighbors? 

Background - i am extremely fortunate enough to hunt some excellent property.  And we are doing what we can to increase opportunity for successful hunts.  But come gun season, it gets tough to see the potential up and comers dead before they had a chance to grow.  The worst part of it is that we are in a hunters choice area and hear of the neighbors that filled out by 9 am opening morning with seven 1 1/2 year-old bucks.  There are plenty of deer(does) in the area and the numbers should come down (from my persective) and that's the reason for hunters choice, correct?  There were multiple sits between us(bow hunters) that we saw 20+ deer throughout the season.

Anyone that takes an animal and feels that it is a trophy in their eyes, cheers to you, that is part of why i hunt.  But i struggle with the rest of the 'brown its down' mentality.  I know there is no way to change all opinions and the age old idea that the family will starve without a deer, but there must be some common ground that can be met, right?

You hear of other areas in the state that have had great success, but how do you get everyone (or at least a portion of them) on board?  If anyone has input or experience i would love to hear about it.

Good luck to everyone still out!

Edited by triggertrav

I've read that some guys have had success by showing trail cam pictures of big bucks in the area and suggesting that if more young deer live, more big ones will be running around for everyone to shoot.  The idea is to present it in a way that it isn't interpreted as you being greedy but that everyone will benefit.  

The QDMA page or forum may have additional tips.  I imagine it is a common topic. 

My family practice QDM but not fully here is how we mange are heard:

1. If you are 18+ the buck has to have four points on one side

2. If you have never  shoot a buck before. rule 1 does not apply to you. in till you shoot a buck than rule applies.

3. If you are 17 years old or younger you can shoot any size buck (normally they shoot buck that has 4 sides but if they want to shoot a spike they are more than welcome to.)

4. If you are 18+ and shoot a buck that does not follow rule number 1. (only has three points on one side) you have to pay 100 dollars to the land owner(My dad) which goes towards the cabin we rent for deer camp. Also you have to buy a new trail camera that is over $100!

5. Does are fair game. but we are in hunter choice so most guys this year let the does walk.

We have done this the last 4 years. We have one neighbor that has joined us in our QDM and we see the difference!! Lot more bigger bucks. I am not saying we have huge monsters but giving deer an extra year, you can see the difference. lot more two and three years old. some neighbors do not practice QDM and that's fine as well.   

we went 3-5 this year all bucks! no one had to pay the fines! 

Edited by rkhinrichs