• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well, we are at the half way point for the 60day season. (Give or take a day)

According to my notes from last season my last hunt of 2014 was on October 28th. The following week the world froze over and the migration passed us by. 

This year is shaping up to be better in that regard. There is no hard freeze up forecast. Even checking baudette and Ely is showing overnight lows in the low 30's - high 20's with some snow flurries, but no accumulation and daytime temps in the high 40's. 

I think there is definately going to be some "deer season" duck hunts this year. For those of us who really are gluttons for punishment, late season geese and divers could be a ball. A lot of the "big ducks" only migrate as far as they need to and still find open water and food.  So as long as some of the farmers leave their fields un-turned so the birds can still glean some corn from the chaff, and the small lakes don't freeze, we will still have birds to chase. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed for some November diver hunts. I have never wanted deer season to show up and be over so fast in my life. If it's all froze up fine, lets hunt deer and look forward to spearing. As long as there's open water, lets go duck hunting. 

Was talking to a buddy last night and while the outlook isn't real good and the reports from up north and out west aren't real good, we are both in the camp that any day they could show up.  Last year I waited for them and hunted right until ice up - literally watched the lake freeze.  Missed one afternoon where another buddy filled out.  timing is everything.  Only think in our favor this year is that if they do show up we may get more than a morning or afternoon to whack 'em.