• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another outboard motor question

Iambjm

I try to diligently take care of my outboard to the best of my limited knowledge. Haven't used my boat this year, so I figured I would drain lower unit oil. I went to drain it and out came a tablespoon or two of water, then the oil started to come out and it was very black. I don't recall this happening before, my memory is not so good lately. Is this an indication of bad news? I have a five day trip this weekend and I am a bit concerned.

If you haven't used your boat this year, is this oil the oil from last year?

Water in the lower unit isn't good... it typically means a seal (check under the prop for fishing line) got cut and has allowed some water in.  As far as the black oil, I'm not sure...

Regardless, I'd replace it with fresh oil, go on your trip and then check it again... make sure you change the oil / check it for water again before freeze up - that's where the real damage happens - the water becomes solid, and depending on how full your lower unit is seals are pushed out further / etc.

marine_man

If you haven't used your boat this year, is this oil the oil from last year?

Water in the lower unit isn't good... it typically means a seal (check under the prop for fishing line) got cut and has allowed some water in.  As far as the black oil, I'm not sure...

Regardless, I'd replace it with fresh oil, go on your trip and then check it again... make sure you change the oil / check it for water again before freeze up - that's where the real damage happens - the water becomes solid, and depending on how full your lower unit is seals are pushed out further / etc.

marine_man

I changed the oil and checked the gasket, upper one was in bad shape. Replaced it and popped the prop off to check for line, clean as a whistle. Checked my notebook and realized I didn't change it last year. I had knee surgery in the spring and didn't put the boat in the water till mid-august. So the oil is 2 years old. As soon as I get back I am going to re-check it. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Iambjm