• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Chevy Silverado

Don't drive the truck that often, but when I drove it a week ago the cruise control worked fine.  Today I went to use the cruise and nothing works.  The switch is on but the light on the dash does not come on and it does not hold any speed.  It is does not work at all.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Another quick/easy thing to check would be to make sure your brake lights are working. If not, look at the brake light switch, (particularly the connector) and check for burned terminals.  A malfunctioning brake light  switch can/will take out the cruise too!

Otherwise, as Jer said, have it scanned or you could be chasing the problem a long time between broken wires in the column, multi-function switch, or steering wheel switch depending on which style you have and other things.

Edited by Macgyver55
added comment

Got to looking at this truck again.  Turns out there are no brake lights either so I am gonna take a shot at replacing the brake light switch.  Is it pretty straight forward or any tips to get it changed out. Thanks for the info.

these can be a little tricky. Remove the retainer clip. carefully pull the switch away from the pedal arm. the brake push rod will pull out with it. I think there are a couple of nylon washers/spacers in there as well. Once you start pulling you will see how the switch fits around the push rod and mounts to the mounting pin on the brake lever. just make sure it goes back on exactly how it comes off.

Well I replaced the brake light switch and still no lights or cruise control.  I had checked the cruise control fuse and the stop fuse in the inside door fuse box.  When the brake light switch did not fix the problem I checked the fuse box under the hood.  Low and behold there is a brake light fuse in there also.   First cleaned out the mouse nest from not driving the truck much.  Tried pulling the fuse out and the spades broke off.  I assume from the mouse pee it broke?  not sure on that.  So with a little wd-40 got the spades out and cleaned it up, replaced the fuse.  Now I have brake lights and cruise control back.  

Glad the brake light switch was only 12 bucks and turned out to be a somewhat simple fix.  Thanks again for the help and info.