• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A longer string increases draw weight?

Stick500

Just took my old compound bow (bowfishing) into the shop for a new string and told the tech guy at Cabin Fever (in Victoria) that I was looking to get another bow since mine was only putting out 40 lbs. He said we could get more pounds out of it by adding a longer string, and sure enough that's what he did, getting me up to 50 lbs.

A longer string sounds like the opposite of what you would do, as one would think a shorter one would do the trick. Can anyone explain to me how that works? I didn't ask the bow tech guy at the time. BTW, Cabin Fever is a great shop, as they gladly saved me some dough from having to buy another bow!

Depending on the style of the cams(or wheels depending on age), adding length would effectively lengthen the draw cycle allowing the cams to have a longer power cycle. Thats just me talking our of my rear end, but thats the way it makes sense in my mind.

I also had new strings put on my primary bow last month. SHe's shooting like a champ and I'm getting it all ready for turkeys.

He may have adjusted the draw length with a shorter module if it has that, otherwise a longer string, especially one that added 10 lbs of draw weight, will have increased your draw length by at least an inch. Now if you can live with that, and the wheel is not wrapped too far, then technically you're okay to shoot it that way, expecially for bowfishing I would think. Your brace height would have decreased, and it may have gotten a little "sloppy" with the longer string, and it may shoot a little louder, but other than that it should be okay.