• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warm Weather Yard Bassin

RuddyDuck

So who else was out in the yard today trying out a new reel they got over winter? I'll admit it, I was out trying a new Lew's and Lexa I got over the winter. Got two grass bass from under the front tree and lost the State record at the drive way! I think the people driving by were giving me weird looks! crazy

Gonna get even warmer coming up.

Not yet!! To much snow. Been caught before doing that. After a while they just give up and write me off !!! grin

The worst harassing I got was when I got caught casting a muskie rod with three 1 oz. sinkers attached in the school parking lot!.

Haven't gotten out this year yet but last year I was a bit rusty after the long winter and had quiet a few of those grass bass take me into the trees. Lots of weird looks when I'm trying to get my line outta the tree every five minutes!

I think most of us have been caught in the act of casting in the yard!

In 1977 or so, I watched Al Linder on his TV show highlight the Lew's BB-1 Speed Spool reel. Almost immediately I rode my bike with and my savings from lawn mowing and odd jobs down to Burger Brothers on France Ave, bought one, and coupled it with a Fenwick Lunkerstick glass casting rod.

The Lew's reels were designed by a sports show trick caster and made originally made by Shimano, which at the time was strictly a bicycle parts manufacturer. They then were taken over by Browning of Japan, then Ryobi. I am not sure where they are manufactured these days.

Before obtaining my driver's license, my dad drove me down to the lakes in our old Suburban where I did a lot of casting out of the family canoe with Fat Raps, Cotton Cordell Big Os and Bagley's crank baits along the weed lines of Harriet, Cedar, Isles and Calhoun through about 1986 when my wife and I were married and I stared graduate school. Incredible multi-species results, including some really large fish were a common outcome. During that time the cat was not out of the bag regarding the excellent angling opportunities available in the metro, and there seemed to be far fewer people around.

The older Lew's reels are getting harder to find these days. Mine is retired, as it needs a few new parts, and has been replaced with a collection of vintage Garcia Ambassador 4500-6500 casting reels.

The old Fenwick Lunkerstick is still in service. Ruddyduck your post makes me want to go out in the yard and give a whirl today!

Season has not yet open here at Lake Iwanttobethere just yet. I expected with the warmer days the snow drifts will diminish and will not be a snagging problem. I prefer to keep my early bass yard bassin to top grass. The lack of leaves this time of the year does allow me to get deep into the trees so I prefer using a heavy braid. Should not be to long before the snow is down and I will be able to climb up on the picnic table and get the proper feel of casting if you know what I mean, Bobby

Haha. I do it every spring just to get the pitching aim back into game shape. Neighbors are used to it by now.

Bowhunters shoot targets, golfers practice their swing inside a big balloon, tennis players hit a ball against a concrete wall...nobody thinks that's weird. Fishing is the only sport where if you practice the mechanics, people look at you like you're crazy.

The yard has really opened up with these warm temps! I'm hoping by next weekend that the drain pond in the back yard opens up and I can start casting real lures. Not as many people can see me back there. The neighbor kids just ask me how they are biting! I sadly do keep waiting for a hit, but just isn't gonna happen. The bullys and green sunfish aren't into bass baits.