• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice

bucketmouth64

I fish this lake that has a bay that I would think would be good place to catch bass. But I find myself seldomly catching fish. Would like your opinions/advice. Here are the demos: around the shoreline flats it is weedy and it is around 5 feet to the drop off. The dropoff slopes fast and is weedy and bottoms out around 15-20 feet on a soft/hard bottom. At the bottom the weeds stop. The center of the bay approaches 30-35 feet. Water is relatively clear. I have tried to fish the flats with small success, so I try the dropoff and the same thing happens...little success. Is the bay too deep? I know there are good numbers of bass in this lake...I've seen the numbers during the spring spawn.

My question would be this... Is the entire bay the same, or is somewhere there more space/flat between the shorline and the drop off.. Or is there somewhere that the weeds are thicker. At this time of the year I would try and find the thickest weeds and give them a shot.. Then if that didn't work I would try working the weed edge with a weightless worm like a senko type and see if you can get any hits that way.

From what you are describing if I am hearing you right.. it would like there really isn't a whole lot of bass habitat in this bay if it drops off to deep water right away. Just my opinion however!

Are you saying the shoreline flats only extend 5' from shore or the depth of the shoreline flats is 5'?

If your talking that quick of a drop - i.e. the deep weed edge is 5' from shore... I'd defintely be concentrating on that deep outside weed edge. If there are 5' flats that extend from shore, the bass should be in the thickest, ugliest stuff you can find (near the deep weed edge). They don't need much water at all if they have good cover and shade - that is key though. If you don't have much for cover and it is clear water, they may be hanging deeper on the weed edges.

The flats extend out to the dropoff anywhere from 75' to 30'from the shoreline. The flats all have weeds to a varying degree. Meaning some areas are more thicker than others. I usually try shallow cranks nipping the top of the weeds, spinners, topwaters. I just get an occasional fish in the shallows. I throw worms around the docks with little success. Some areas the weeds are so thick my worm won't go thru. Should I switch to heavy jig/pig? I thought that with the clearer waters the fish would spook easier if I got too close.
When I switch to the drop off I try deeper cranks, jig/pig. My thinking is the bass would be all over the dropoffs since it goes deep quickly and it has a sharp distinct weedline. I'll try using a weightless worm over the weededge. That's gonna test my patience waiting for it to get to the bottom in deep waters.

Not a heavier jig and pig.. but a heavier worm or texas rigged tube.. it will be important to "peg" you sinker so that it stays tight to the lure. This will help it get to the bottom better. A jig and pig will often get hung up in real heavy cover. I would say a 3/8th oz sinker should be able to get you threw the weeds... maybe a 1/2 might be needed. Dont worry about spoking the fish too bad. They feel quite safe in the thick weeds and will not spook to easliy unless you are making a ton of noise.

Good luck and let us know how you do?!

Is there any irregularities in the weed beds/flats--points, cuts, inside turns, deeper areas in the weeds? I would try those first. Also is there any laydowns or certain spots where there is openings because of a sandy bottom? I would try those second; those are always good ambush points.

I have fished deep drops like these up north a lot this summer. I have had my best luck on inside turns with ribbon-tail worms and tubes, both t-rigged.

Bob Downey

how about transition areas where silt turns to sand, small changes in depth like a small hump or depression. weed points or isolated weed clumps. is the lake in an area of the state where the temps have dropped dramatically recently? if so, then possible persuing a "fall" pattern may be the ticket. just a few ideas.

andy