• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tahoe: New Tires = Engine Light On?

Just had new skins put on my 2004 Tahoe. After just a handful of miles the check engine light came on. Could this be damage to the ABS sensor or something along those lines? Is it true that Auto Zone and similar big parts stores will scan vehicles for free? I don't want to just ignore it, but I don't want to pay a bunch to have it cleared if it's nothing... My rear is still sore from the price of new tires...

I'm not sure about AutoZone but Oreilly will check them for free. Possibly a coincidence because an ABS problem should light the ABS light not the check engine light. Did you fill the tank lately? If so, make sure the cap is tight. Was any other service done at the time the tires were installed?

I did actually just fill up and I'll check that out first. The gas cap has been a bit wonky lately so it'd be nice if that was the problem.

Yeah, after I typed this I realized that ABS is a separate light and not an emission trigger anyhow. One thing I read, and this seems out of the box, is that new tires can change gas mileage which can trigger an emissions check. Possible?

I'll bring it to O'Reilly's next and see what code they come up with. I just liked it better when you didn't need a degree in computer science to run a vehicle... (sour grapes)

that's funny.

I once spent a few days trying to get my ATV to work it was driving me nuts. Had to find the right plug wrench in metric, couldn't find a plug, took it apart and couldn't get it back together. My neighbor stopped by and turned the fuel to reserve and it started immediately. Main tank was empty... I feel your pain.