• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hinge release question.

rkhinrichs

OK i want to switch to a hinge release. reason is I want to try something new. I shoot a Tru-Fire Hardcore Buckle Fold-Back Release. I am looking at a carter evolution ( which shoots when it gets to a certain tension.)

My question is should i go straight to a hinge back tension release or to a thumb release??????

Hi rkhinrichs, I shoot a TRU Ball Absolute 360. It's a four finger thumb release and not a back tension release for me. My bias is to not shoot a back tension release for hunting. IMO there are times when a back tension release is not ideal for hunting situations. I know some guys use back tension releases for hunting and they work for them, but generally speaking, I don't think it's best for most. I'd suggest you use back tension for target and prep work for hunting, but not for hunting in the field. Some will disagree with this suggestion, but I think it's a good one for most people.

I think scoots advice is spot on. I shoot a true back tension during the off season because I suffer from a slight case of target panic. It helps for that, however my scores suffer while using it. I believe any trigger type release is a much better option for hunting situations.

can i shoot a tension release for practice then switch to a thumb release for hunting?

Yes. I'd suggest practicing with both, but the tension release will help you with form and helping to get you locked into a surprise release and avoiding punching the trigger.