• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antlers dropped!

Jeff13

So my last sit was Monday the 29th it was cold! Saw 6 deer took no shots as I was hoping for a nice buck. Noticed a deer that I'm almost positive was a really large buck that had dropped his antlers already?!

5 deer all does and fawns came down a trail and the last deer in the bunch was hanging further behind the group. I could see at even100 yards and at nearly 5PM that this deer was big! I let the first 5 deer clear me as I was waiting on the last deer in the group since it looked big.When the deer got to about 30 yards I was shocked when I think "he" stuck his neck out in the open and had no head gear! This deer was big no way it was a doe. Had the Roman nose and would have dressed in the 200's easy, but carrying nothing on top, so he lives to see another season and I'll hopefully see him next year with his accessories. Thought it was kind of odd that he would have dropped head gear already I think I'm going to head out there this weekend and look for his shed. There was a really big guy we had on camera this year.

I don't care what you shoot, but your saying that you only care about antlers. Big body means more meat in the freezer, most everyone says the big bucks get big because they are so smart and wary,seems to me a big buck is a big buck, whether he has head gear or not? Am I wrong?

I would have gladly taken one of the does that I had passed minutes earlier had I not seen the larger deer coming. When it came time to shoot I just did not... my choice. Would I like to see him with his antlers yes. I have not arrowed a buck in three years because I pass small guys because I like to see bigger deer. I already have meat in my freezer, and it's something to look forward to chasing next year.

A big buck becomes big because they are smart and wary, I agree I just wanted to see him with his antlers.

When it came time to shoot I just did not... my choice.

BINGO! A choice you were comfortable with. The right choice.

I've also heard of bucks dropping their head gear early this year. Or, earlier than normal. I also saw a buck that was still running does 3 weeks ago. Maybe that isn't so odd but based on what I've seen, the rut around me was done by the second weekend of the season.

I do not judge anyone, I have not taken a deer since 07, I have had chances with some bucks, just not the "right buck". I hear all the experts talk about how smart and wary big bucks are, IMO, there isn't a less wary animal in the woods than a testosterone filled rutting buck. Like I said before, take the animal your happy with and who care what everyone else thinks. I have seen shows wherea hunter has passed on a huge, old buck because he has a broken beam or tine, but is clearly an old mature buck. But because it's not b&c, it's not a "trophy". A 4-6 yr old deer is a trophy in my book in terms of genetics whether it is a doe or a buck without "horns". My 2 cents.

If this was buck that dropped it's head gear and this early you would of seen the marks on the head either frsh or black from healing over if this was a big buck should of been able to tell. I know when i've had deer in WI in the first week of Jan. they have dropped but you could tell even out a ways you can see the marks on the head at least from what I've seen.