• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics App or GPS unit with chip?

Kylersk

Question

I already have the Navionics app just not sure how accurate it would be compared to a traditional GPS unit with Lowrance Lake Insight chip installed (or navionics chip)?

Thoughts? Is it worth buying the Lowrance Lake Insight for my Elite-5 if I already have the Navionics app on my phone?

8 answers to this question

If your lake is mapped, the Navionics app is good enough. On all the lakes I have needed it on, it has been fairly accurate. Would I use it for going full bore through some rock infested shield lake? Heck no. Would I use it to get to different structures at a sane speed? Yes and I have with excellent results. I used it last September up in the GR area to go from rockpile-to-rockpile one weekend and it was great. It helped that the fish were there too.

The gps in a tablet or phone is just as good as the one in a marine unit. There are apps you can download to evaluate gps accuracy. I have three on a nexus tablet just for fun.

GPS test, GPS essentials, and GPS Status. all free.

The maps in the Apps are the same data as whats on mapping chips, I would rec. the 9.99 upgrade or the Nav+ upgrade, the 9.99 will get you Nav+ and a few other items. Nav+ gives you lots more detail on many lakes.

Also the app has some other cheap upgrades such as advanced map options that lets you do depth shading, water level offset and more.

You phone will triangulate off cell towers and if you have GPS capabilities in you phone you can use this if phone data is not available by downloading a select are to your phone.

is your phone waterproof? if it falls overboard will it flote? how long will the battery in your phone last? the app will work just fine if you are willing to expose your phone to the eliments and keep it plugged in to charge. the elite5 is designed to sit on the dash of your boat and get wet. it is/should be wired directly to the battery in your boat so you don't have to worry about the battery running out of a charge. you can look at one device and see both, where you are at and what is below you in the water. it all comes down to using the right tool for the job at hand. my wife can drive a nail with a visegrip, but a hammer would work much better.