• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will coyotes impact deer movement

I know wolves will but my nephew is hunting in Wi. I asked if he has seen any deer. He said no but he told me he has heard coyotes yipping since Sat am and they are still are around. If they hang around, will coyotes make deer hide like timber wolves would?

Not that I've ever noticed.

In late season hunts I've seen deer tracks IN yote tracks in my tracks on one overnight. My opinion is a healthy adult deer sees a yote as little more of a threat than a fox. Young fawns are of course at risk earlier in the year but by now they should be able to handle the coexistence.

Yotes are looking for gut piles, lost wounded/dead deer, bunnies, squirrels and mice now.

2c

I think when you put a pack of coyotes on the hunt it will rearange them for awhile. Point being about 15 years back on my stand early morning I could hear coyotes getting closer first 2 deer(does) darted by my stand then 3 coyotes in hot pursuit.Even had 2 dogs one year chase a spike buck out to me, that is the only time I have every had a shell misfire but the dog dropped down when he heard the click.

I agree with snowfighter, it's not like the deer will want to be near coyotes and in my area there's rarely just a loner yote, I think they skirt em and circle back on em etc. The alternative isn't great either, we now have wolves mainly instead of coyotes and that hasn't helped the deer recover, what we're gaining we're losing to predation so pending snow depth/spring weather if it is spring when it should be will determine a lot, then dogs,bobcats,bears,yotes, and wolves. When I think about that we've always had the dog issues, bobcats, some bears, plenty of coyotes yet we had strong deer numbers forever at least since the 80's, but we never had wolves, now we do, them taking pregnant does all winter/spring/ summer isn't helping deer numbers at all yet most around here barely believe there are wolf packs in Ottertail County, most think they're only up north. Save a deer take a coyote. Save 20 deer take a wolf. When you think about that it doesn't take many wolves to dent a dented population.