• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Starter

DTro

2003 Polaris Indy 500 Touring

I’ve gone and tore up the bendix gear to the point of no return. I want to replace the starter, but upon further review I can’t see of a way to remove it without pulling the flywheel. :sad: The starter mounts to a bracket, and then the bracket mounts to the block. There is 1 bottom bolt/screw on both mounting options that I just can’t get at.

Anyone ever done this and have any tips?

20141020_132349_zpsmecpgezm.jpg

20141020_132358_zpsrcj8gqvb.jpg

The "flywheel" is just a ring gear on your clutch. The clutch is very simple to remove but does require a clutch tool to remove it. Buy or borrow one and the clutch is off in a minute. They can be found at Dennis Kirk or similar for about 30 bucks but they are very common and often fit several models years and engine sizes. You may even have a buddy that has one!

Cool thanks, yeah after doing a little more research it looks like I will have to pop that clutch off to get the starter removed.

Anyone ever tried the "water trick"? It looks pretty easy.