• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So is this Rain/Snow mix going to affect the Hens?

I don't see it getting below freezing so I am still hoping to get in the woods on Saturday and fill up the freezer with delicious Hens. Anyone else planning to get out there this weekend?

I went out to a completely new chunk o' woods today and found more than I could carry home. I ended up choosing only the small, easy-to-clean prime ones, leaving the slightly-less-than-prime ones to decorate the forest floor and spread their parasitic heart-rot-inducing spores among the other oaks. This year has been INSANE for hens. Get out while the getting is good.

For what it's worth, I was out with some friends fishing late in the afternoon yesterday, trolling cranks over shallowish weeds for walleyes. I didn't jump out of the boat, but the shores of the lake had oaks on them, and before the sun set, I spotted a couple hens from the boat. That's when you know it's good. smile

Ha! Went out to my hunting land and only found 5 past. 1 is a maybe. But then I went to my in-laws for dinner they had 4 in their back acre of woods. All those were past to. cry

But I did find some crazy weird mushrooms.....I think a motherload of honeys which I left. And then some orange looking oysters?????

And I found out about the oysters. They are a false Orange oyster.......and they stink....seriously had to air out my car after leaving them in there overnight.

What a ridiculous year. Couple years ago think I got 3 total. On the way to the lake yesterday stopped by a maple stand looking to see if there were a few hericulms laying around. There were only a few oaks scattered in the stand, and, yep, they were just loaded. As Stick mentioned just grabbed the best as I couldn't carry anymore anyway, and almost getting tired of cleaning and preparing them.

20141005_125356_zps18a221e6.jpg

Darn you!!!! I found 8 this weekend, and they were all bad frown But on the plus side those nasty nasty oysters smell kinda like propane and made my car seem like a toxic waste dump.......so I got that going for me, which is nice.

You guys are still finding hens? I was at the cabin this weekend,and on Friday it was snowing to the point the ground was turning white. Thought about giving a look, but figured it wouldn't be worth it. We found a few lobsters the last time we were up there, but they were past. im sure its all temperature related, but how late in the year do you guys usually scour the woods?

As you said....all dependent on weather. We just passed fall primetime, but still saw some baby hens the other day. Accuweather is showing 70 degrees in a few weeks, don't count on it, but a few varieties will still be around for a few more weeks.

Had to check one last time on Sunday and found a few dried out Hens. I think my season is done.....unless I decide to head to Mendocino County California for the Wine,Beer and Mushroom Festival in November......really tempted.

We also poked our heads into the woods a little this weekend and like you just found a couple that were fried. Still no chickens, some shot oysters, some entiloma were still ok but a majority are buried under leaves. Not many elm oysters either. ....maybe similar favorable pinning conditions as the chickens? Did find an old apple tree that provided some entertainment. Spent awhile throwing rotten apples at the ones way up in the tree....Jr thought that was pretty cool, and we got enough down for a few pies.

Just a heads up, and maybe you guys are well aware of it, but the deer ticks are in full swing north east of the Bagley area. I was up to the cabin last weekend to do a little grouse hunting, and ended up finding a few on me as well as the dog.