• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northwoods Roma's

Dock Boy

Hello guys and gals, It's my second year of having a large garden up here by Voyageur's National Park. My wife and I have made Salsa and Spaghetti sauce both have turned out great. The problem I'm having is that I planted Roma tomato's just to make Spaghetti sauce. I made one batch and have enough for another batch, but they are not ripening! What can I do before the next freeze to ensure not to loose them? Thanks for any help that can be provided

bring 'em inside during the night, put 'em in the sun during the day, and you can get a few extra days of ripening out of them.

Lacking that you have 2 other good options:

1) fried green tomatoes. Yum.

2) green tomatillo salsa. Sure they aren't really true 'tomatillos', but green tomatoes do make a great salsa.. lots of options. I like to throw in dried hot peppers (I like arbol chiles), cilantro, plenty of garlic, even some onion'll go over great. There are plenty of recipes out there how to use green tomatoes in salsa.

Hello guys and gals, It's my second year of having a large garden up here by Voyageur's National Park. My wife and I have made Salsa and Spaghetti sauce both have turned out great. The problem I'm having is that I planted Roma tomato's just to make Spaghetti sauce. I made one batch and have enough for another batch, but they are not ripening! What can I do before the next freeze to ensure not to loose them? Thanks for any help that can be provided

Pick them green at last minute and lay out on newspaper is what we did back in the day (learned this from my Aunt). Other option is to cut the plant off and hang upside down in garage. If they are not too green they will ripen either way.

Covering them up at night can make them last unless it gets into the mid 20's.Then you will have to pick them all.As stated above put them on newspaper and wait until they ripen.

They do not require light to ripen so.....cover them with new3spaper also.