• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Smallies...

LOWinEYEin

Well you can fish pool 2 (and I'm pretty sure pool 4/lake pepin too) of the mississippi year round but it is C&R only on pool 2. I've heard of great walleye and supposedly good smallmouth fishing on pool 2. I know from pictures that there is a great walleye bite down there, but I've never had much luck on pool 2. Supposedly Ebass has some spots to show me (hint hint) but until then I might be out of luck.

As for structure, that totally depends on what kind of water you are fishing. Rivers are always changing but I would focus on rocky shallows especially if they are adjacent to a deep main channel. Wingdams are always a favorite on bigger stretches of the 'sippi. If you go down to Lake Pepin (pool 4) for early smallies you might want to try a lot of the flood stage backwaters. And finally, just like in a lake, look for runoffs for inlets from streams/creeks. The warmest and murkiest waters are often in those areas after a spring rain and smallies will cover that area for the water temp but more importantly for any food flushed into the river by the rains.

That should give you a start.

Try to find a warmer back water area off the river. (Hint BigMike Pool 2) Cast tubes or something snagless the to wood covered or rocky shore line. Close to deep water 5-6 feet and you should find a couple either that or crappies. Know where I'm talking about BigMike? It's a popular spot.

When the mean water temp is cold and you find a back water area that get's plenty of sunlight that area will be a a couple degrees warmer. Bugs will appear first then the minnows and well you know the food chain. I guess I've caught them in the spring time like that, but it was like April or May. Pool 2 rocks in the sprig for whatever species.