• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"In the slop" bass

Lunker

For all of you who fish in the milfoil infested lakes, as well as other "slop" weeds, what are your approaches? I know that they harbor some huge bass, but I can never really get in there and pull them out, I always end up fishing the edges and over it with topwaters. Everyone always talks about chunking big jigs through the stuff, but it seems like most of the dump is so thick it can hold big jigs up.

I'm no expert with milfoil, but i think the idea with it is not to try and force the jig through but pitch or flip to pockets and give a near vertical presentation. I think it is a kind of fishing that requires some patience and determination.

My guess is the best way to get good at it would be to convince someone who is really good at it to take you out.

Well Lunker with a user name like that you better be pulling them out. smile.gif

First off gotta have heavy tackle!

I have a 7' 6" Med/Hvy rod. Powerfull bait cast reel, and I'm using 30lb Power Pro for line. I do NOT tie a mono leader as it's slop and most lakes I fish are green water.

Toss out that little froggie as close as you can to shore if not on the shore(hint) then hop that sucka all the way back. Don't go so fast. Make it act like a real frog. (hang it off the lily pad and shake it slighty) Use your imagination! Pump, pause, pump, pump, pause.

Give them an extra second to take it then give it a real hard set. (As Bruce Lee would say, "Put your hip into it")

I go about fishing slop two ways. I start out throwing a frog over the top with a 7' heavy action rod and 40 lb spiderwire. If the fish are eating the frog, I will stick with that, but if they are missing it or I'm not getting the blow ups, I will flip a jig (again with a 7'-6" heavy rod and spiderwire) to the pockets. I like to drop the jig in, let it hit bottom, then shake it a few times. If no bite, I will reel up and flip to another pocket. One thing to remember when fishing frogs, pause when you get to an open area and then give it light twitches. That will do the trick a lot of times. One other thing, when fishing frogs and jigs, you got to get those fish up and out of the weeds right away.

Good Luck

if you really want to fish through the thick stuff; use heavy equipement. some of the tips that was given in bass master was to use 1 oz. or heavier jigs. when you pich it toss it up in the air to give it more force to slam through the slop ( i have tried this and it will work, but very trying!) the other is to use your rod tip and create an opening in the slop and drop your jig through that. i usually fish the edges and any openings i can find too. it is easier. del

I get excited even reading about slop fishin. What I like most is a lot of bass fisherman don't even bother with it. If you see a boat sitting in the middle of the thickest nastiest slop on the lake with a guy smiling it might be me.

------------------
Fishin's the fun part catchin them is a bonus!
((TIP) "Turn In Poachers"
1-800-652-9093
24 Hours a Day_365 Days a Year