• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Docking Labrador Tails!!

Ufatz

Please tell me this is not a coming fad in hunting land. I watched part of a Dakota hunting program, featuring a group of what seemed to me to be primitives, and the best dog in the bunch was a nice looking Lab with about a five-inch tail. Made me sick. It was enough to watch this very amateurish video without seeing that dog.

Then I thought "Oh no....in today's world nothing is sacred and maybe that dog is just the beginning."

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Perhaps the dog's tail was injured at some point? Cannot say that I have ever seen a lab's tail docked. You sure it was a lab? There are a few solid black german shorthairs out there.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said "nice chocolate lab" when seeing my solid liver Shorthair I would have a ton of nickels.

Nothing made me more angry. grin

By golly that would make me mad too! smile Not to mention how my dog would feel about it.

I'm pretty sure it was a Lab but you might be right. And I also thought about a dog with an injured tail.

It just looks so wrong.....like seeing the Queen wearing a backward baseball hat!

seems every lab I've had at one point or another hurt their tail and about halfway down it ended up pointing straight at the ground, can't remember what it's called but it eventually heals. That looked goofy enough for me.

Judged a hunt tet once... Big ol' chocolate comes to the line with a docked tail. Looked like a liver shorthair at first glance. Talked to the handler after the test... Story was: Dog wagged his tail so hard all the time, beating it on walls, furniture, etc....it kept breaking open... Eventually close to half his tail was raw, bleeding and getting infected. Vet said the best thing to do was dock it and move on... So they did. It looked odd, but did'nt seem to hinder it in the least...

Good luck!

Ken