• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planting too early.....cause problems?

I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in with some knowledge. Going out this weekend to spray down the areas for food plots. Once everything is dead in two weeks, I will go out and till up the ground and spread some fertilizer. Now the seeds that I am going to plant (T-Raptor Rape, Chicory, Rye Grass, Forage Clover and Forage Rape mixture)say to plant in mid to late July. What happens if you plant them before that? Say late June? Does cause the seeds to not grow as much or what are the affects it would have planting them half a month early?

Absolutely no issue with the seed.

They are saying late July as the preferred time to plant that stuff.

Affects are that you may have plants that are more mature and not as desireable to eat.

I have planted that stuff you mention in mid may and it got hammered by deer.

I have tried to plant late summer a few times and had no luck with rain so I had nothing but weeds come fall. I planted my brassicas last week if that helps your decision at all. smile

I believe that they have those planting times recommended with the belief that the plants will be the most attractive to deer during the season if planted at that time. Deer LOVE young, tender foliage and seem to overlook older vegetation.

As far as effect on seed, as long as it avoids a hard frost you should be fine, or probably better off with the probability of good moisture to get the seed germinated. Like hockey said, you have to get lucky and catch a rain or two if planting in mid to late July when rains are not very common.

Not exactly sure where you are located but I do know I personally would plant as soon as the threat of frost is gone.(even though the plants you are planting have good frost tolerance) If the plot is getting overgrown I would mow it, probably at 4-6 inches high. I would repeat if necessary.

One risk if planting brassicas early is the chance if them bolting. If they do, they will begin to whiter and have no attraction to deer. I am naming on doing some around June 1st again, with the remainder around Aug 1st

If you plant them too early, they will run the course of the 'annual' cycle and go to seed, which will not make them attractive to deer. If the deer keep them mowed, it won't matter. Although typically Brassicas won't really get hammered until late and will go to seed. With the unpredictable rain we've had for so long, i've been seeding heavy Rye in my plots early, May 10th. Let it grow tall and go to seed, late Julyish. Then drag a big log over it to knock it down flat. once it's flat, spray the plot. This creates a nice thatch that helps with soil moisture. Seed your mix into the thatch, add some nitrogen, and your plots will explode.