• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting boat trailer?

slick2526

I will have to snap some pics but my boat trailer is really starting to look ugly. It was white to begin with and now its starting to turn redish/brown in the areas the paint is starting to fade.

Would I be better off having it professionally done or could I do a decent job myself? I have painted some, not a lot, but I think I could do a good enough job to make not run. Biggest concern is what to do with the boat? I do have a tilt bed trailer will I struggle getting the boat back on the the trailer if I just set it on the ground? I am also thinking about going with a black trailer this time. Any problems doing that if the existing paint is cleaned up properly?

trailer is a shorelander single axle and the boat is a 87 alumacraft competitor 16.5

I think your problem will be the "prep" of the metal before painting as you seem fairly confident in you painting ability. Metal "prep" is probably more important that the actual painting (maybe). What the heck, on a trailer that old give it a spin and see how it turns out. Good luck!!!

One thought would be to have the frame bead blasted (or media with walnut shells or baking soda)

The biggest problem is stripping a trailer and prepping (including rust removal) having someone blast it works great.

As far as paint goes, what about having it LineX coated. but by then you may have spent enough money to just buy a new trailer.

As for getting the boat off the trailer, just dumping it on the ground might not work so well.

Easiest way, depending on how long the project will take, is to find someplace on the water that would let you tie it up to a dock until you are done.

Otherwise you can use two or three timbers set up on a couple blocks and pull the trailer out from under the boat while putting the timbers under it. Use a couple blocks of wood to keep the boat level.

slick,

Asuming its a roller trailer, Ive had good luck unloading a boat on tires, using 4, one on each side in the stern, and the other 2 under the bow about where your front roller is. back up to a tree or something that wont move and tie off the back of the boat to it. (bow higher is better) unlock the winch and slowly drive the trailer out from under the boat. you'll likely have to put the front tires under after getting the trailer out far enough

To load, using the winch is dificult but, if you have some help, back the trailer under the boat while cranking the winch. line the trailer up by hand instead of using the vehicle to ensure a good line up with the boat.

Id rent a sand blaster if you have a large compresser, or rent one... and on the cheap, rattle cans have worked real good for me. see ya out there somewhere