• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sonar

ImaTeacher

Hello everyone,

I have a Lowrance sonar unit that likes to quit reading at times, for example while running wide open, while trolling, or even bobber fishing. Any ideas as to what might be faulty or anyone out there have any similar problem and what did you do about it?

Thanks in advance!

What is it actually doing? Does the screen go blank ,does it freeze or does it shut off? Usually it's a matter of downloading the latest software updates if it's freezing.

possibly the transducer cable is picking up interference with your trolling motor. I had that problem and housed the transducer cable in a plastic wrap and that solved the problem. Try it and see what happens. You can go to the lowrance tutorial section under trouble shooting and it might give you some answers.

Which model lowrance? I have had problems with certain vintages of Lowrance transducers, the skimmer ones with blue connectors. I have my fingers crossed for the latest one I bought.

I would try to get my hands on a new transducer to see if that is the problem.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that one of the theories about the bad vintages of Lowrance transducers is that they get some water in them , and then having them freeze causes damage. Of course the next year is more damage, etc. a few years and the transducer degrades to the point it hardly works.

My bet would be bad transducer, I just replaced my on an older Lowrance 332c would read fine usually when sitting or trolling and even at fast speed. Problem was it didn't matter at slow, fast, sitting still but if water go to about 35-40 ft wouldn't get a reading of the bottom at all and show 0 ft, the setting on the head unit were all set right just didn't work. After replacing the transducer all is well. I would try the easier fixes above but if they don't work I would guess a new transducer would fix your issues