• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MERC 9.9

Got a 1998 9.9 Kicker on the back of my Warrior that is the worst cold blooded motor ever. Takes forever to get the thing to start the first time for the day, after that it pops right off perfect. Talked to quite a few guys at work that have the same problem. Carb cleaning, new primer bulb etc, etc, etc Nothing seems to help. Just wondering if there is a jet kit available to help this thing cold start better??? Or something else i could try? Thanks

There is a trick to cure the cold bloody nature of this motor but it is NOT EPA approved.

The reason it acts that way is that the motor is set to run very lean when it's cold, and it's a non adjustable carburetor. There are some shops out there that will drill out some of the internals in the carb to cure your problems. It's not something that gets advertised since it is illegal to modify a EPA certified device without rectification so don't expect a shop to broadcast that they do it.

Check some of the small engine/marine shops in the Green Bay area as they have way more trollers there than we do around here.

4-stroke. Did some checking through other forums online from people with the same issue (and there are a lot of them) so I have some direction and some things to try. Forums and U-toob are life savers!! Can't tell you guys how much stuff I have learned or how many problems I have solved by checking out some videos on the ol' tube. Not too much you cant tackle if your willing to give it a try and follow someone elses lead till you figure it out!

By the way, upon perusing the manual I was surprised to see that there were apparently two different 9.9 4 strokes around. Looks like one is based on the same design as the 8, and the other the 15.

I have a 1997 9.9 4S with electric start and auto choke. I've had my fair share of issues with this motor, but I've worked them out over the past 10 years. Carb cleaning does nothing. I would highly recommend a new carb re-build kit, new spark plugs and non-oxy gas. This motor is very sensitive, or at least mine...

My engine loads up spark plugs and new ones make a world of difference.