• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree Branch Damage

DaSwede

We are looking at buying a travel trailer that is on a seasonal spot. We went to the campground where it's at last Sunday (during all the rain and wind). When we got there and met the owners, a tree branch (big oak branch) had fallen overnight and damaged the corner of the roof and damaged one of the 2x4 roofing supports. You could actually see the ceiling pushed down in that spot on the inside of the camper. I felt horrible for the current owner because other than that, the camper was in really good shape. He had a roof patch kit, and had already fixed the roof. It was raining while we were there, and nothing was coming in, but I'm still a little worried about the actual top and the inside.

So, I guess my question(s) is, how serious is this damage, and how hard/easy is it going to be to fix?

I know this isn't the same but.... Here is a picture of my trailer.

[img:center]003_zps535f0355.jpg

A medium limb hit the corner, it didn't look bad.

[img:center]006_zps728d2835.jpg

There was a hole in the roof where water leaked in.

[img:center]008_zps34886ccc.jpg

One estimate was for $1800, being we paid $2000 it was deemed totaled by the ins. company.I told the adjuster that I was amazed at how expensive such a small amount of damage ended up being. His one comment was what I wanted to share with you. He said "when it comes to trailers and especially campers,it is unbelievable how little it takes to completely total them out.

Just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into if you buy the camper. Sometimes it is pretty surprising. Good luck!

WS

We are looking at buying a travel trailer that is on a seasonal spot. We went to the campground where it's at last Sunday (during all the rain and wind). When we got there and met the owners, a tree branch (big oak branch) had fallen overnight and damaged the corner of the roof and damaged one of the 2x4 roofing supports. You could actually see the ceiling pushed down in that spot on the inside of the camper. I felt horrible for the current owner because other than that, the camper was in really good shape. He had a roof patch kit, and had already fixed the roof. It was raining while we were there, and nothing was coming in, but I'm still a little worried about the actual top and the inside.

So, I guess my question(s) is, how serious is this damage, and how hard/easy is it going to be to fix?

Sad deal but I would pass and let him do a claim on it to fix it. If he gets the work done and you are still looking then it maybe worth it. Roof leaks are about 90% of the rot damage of all campers. We are going up this weekend to check ours out for the first time after the winter and it's always a fingers crossed deal! eek

I think I posted this last year but the two things everyone at a seasonal campground asks each other the first time they meet each spring! Any roof leaks? Any mice? wink

I would wait until it is fixed or get an estimate of the cost to fix it. Actually I would most likely move to another camper. The structures on campers are pretty light and it may have damaged more than just the one roof support.

Thanks guys. We got an estimate from an RV dealer near the campground, and gave them an offer based on the high end of the estimate. We'll see what happens.

I appreciate the responses!