• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Lift Suggestions

googs3636

Looking into getting a boat lift this year to put on the west side of Mille Lacs. Never had a lift before and just wondering if anyone has any input on brands. Every dealer obviously says theirs is the best but I'd like input from people who have used them.

Thanks!

What size boat? Width, length, weight? How deep of water will it be in and what is the shore line like? Do you have help to take it out and put in every year? Are you going to want a canopy or go with a snap cover? Do you want to hand crank it up or power it up with a battery powered lift system? Used or brand new lift? Pads or bunks for it to sit on? Vertical lift or cantilever lift, the boat size and weight may matter here. If your on the open lake and not in a harbor a heavier lift would be better to with stand the wind and waves on Mille! This may help you narrow it down a bit because everything costs. There are a lot of good used ones out there once you start getting the sticker "shock" of looking at new ones. shocked

Good luck! wink

We've decided on a vertical lift without a canopy. We'll be brining the boat home with us some weekends and I don't want to be worrying about what might happen to it if a storm comes through with no boat on it. It'll be for a 17' Tracker in fairly deep water. The resort we're at will put it in and take it out for us.

I've definitely gotten the sticker shock which is why we'll probably wait to add the electric winch next year. I've looked at Floe, Porta-Dock, and Shoremaster...wondering if one is better than the other.

The only thing I don't like about a vertical lift is that the cable on most of them has to run through a cross bar down each side which makes it hard to get in and out of the boat when you have to crawl over the bars! Hard to get grandma and grandpa in the boat! eek I have a Beach King cantilever and it works great for my 17.5' Starcraft.

Hewitt cantilever here.It's got the hand crank/big wheel on it for raising & lowering.We have a 2400#(?)one,which is bigger than we need but thought we might get a bigger boat someday.Canopy also as the boat stays on it from May to Oct. except for a trip to Winni,URL,or Bowstring once in a while.

I have had a newman verticle lift for 8 years and have had several issues with cables and rollers in the frame. I am trying to get parts now and it is a nightmare! I am hoping a storm blows it out to see this summer. I have looked at a few others and really like store station, hewitt and beech king. Also the next one I buy will be cantilever type as there are fewer moving parts.....

I have a friend with a lift on the west side of ML. One of the keys is that you need a lot of lift because the waves can get big. I'm not sure that a cantilever will have enough travel. Talk to your neighbors that have them and see what they are using and what they would recommend from their experiences. Most likely you will want to be many feet above the water.

I have a friend with a lift on the west side of ML. One of the keys is that you need a lot of lift because the waves can get big. I'm not sure that a cantilever will have enough travel.

Adjustable legs! I have heard people call Lake Edwards "the mini mille Lacs" because on the waves. My cantilever does well when the legs are adjusted right. wink

He has the legs adjusted so that the boat has to be backed off when lowered to the bottom.

His shore faces northeast (south of vineland). When storms come from the north he gets waves spraying mist 25+ yards onto shore. His neighbors warned him not to bother putting in a lift. That is why I suggested the OP talk to his neighbors first.