• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I start spraying?

Looking to get a jump on a couple of new food plots. Is it too early to get out and spray the areas with Roundup to kill off the growth before I turn the plots over? Should I wait another week or two?

Personally, I'd wait... Plants are not actively growing and you'll end up spraying again to get new seeds that germinate once the soil warms up. We are going to do some spraying in the Alex are the week of 5/5... I try to limit how much herbicide I use... mostly for cost, but also for environmental reasons. Timing helps to limit the need.

You "can" spray now on a warm day and anything that is green and growing will most likely take up the herbicide and die, but anything that is still dormant or has not germinated will not be killed.

Good Luck!

Ken

Well looks like I will give it a couple more weeks then. Thanks for the advice guys. Go the itch to get out and start getting plots ready cause that means deer season is on its way (although a long ways off, but its still on its way)!!!!

If you're going to "turn it over" why would you waste your time and money spraying it? By turning over the soil you're just going to germinate new seeds anyway. It makes no sense at all to use round up before soil work.