• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Downscans and Snapshots

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

full-3300-46860-s00009.png

Here is one thing that is very hard to find with regular 2D sonar. You can see a single rock all by itself off to the left side. Sometimes it's little things like that that hold a few fish, and that's nice to know when things get tough.

Do you have any issues with the 2D not reading the right depth? The SI and DI images are correct but in shallow- 4-7 foot on hard bottom sometimes I get 80 to 90 foot readings for depth. Is there a way to fix that? Concerned that if i am recording to make my own map having a 90foot hole in 4 foot of water will screw things up a little.

The fish weren't cooperating so hot today so I finally started to take some screen shots of interesting things underwater. Pretty cool seeing what is really down there! This was on the St. Croix River.

A sunken dead head on the sand flats

ef812838-5274-4ed4-ae45-8e53d2fc9e0c.png

Pretty typical sand bottom wherever there is current

7193a9d5-2f33-4533-b02c-f169162ed49c.png

Totally gnarly rock island edge. I always wondered why this thing ate up bottom bouncers LOL! Some of those rocks are the size of atv's.......

c5918e7d-ac44-4838-a332-be4b273a3e42.png

Breaking down the side of the channel. Lots of rocks and a few logs to the right.

d322f2d6-cae0-443a-aea9-55fc6dc087c7.png

Very unique and MASSIVE sand dunes! Man you would think they would hold some fish...... smile

e382a2e3-5504-434a-a5bc-9b699f679e4e.png

A cool underwater sheer rock face. I kept the speed steady and ran it over as perpendicular as I could. The deep spot is about 45' with a vertical wall over 20' high!

01ea91e9-675f-4afe-9a97-e363b9e12661.png

I am pretty sure they where both rocks. Even though the top pic does indeed look fishy in 2D sonar with the color change, the DI clearly shows that it is on the bottom. I could be wrong but if it was a fish it didn't bite and I didn't stick around.

In the magnified view, there is one image where there is separation between the white mark and the dark shadow, which(from what I've read)indicates that the mark is above bottom. Rocks don't float, so...turtle? fish? smile

There are some fish in the rocks. I posted this pic to show that you can see fish in the rocks but you have to know what you are looking for. The more you study these kinds of images the easier it is.

This type of area can be a fish holding magnet, scattered rocks and boulders on a sand and gravel bottom but it doesn't pay to fish it if the fish are not there today.

So I was on a lake for the first time with my new 688 and everything worked perfect. But when I would get to 20 feet, there was a big haze near the bottom. Any ideas what this is? The bottom is bear 30 feet here. It only would be where it was 20 or deeper. Thermocline? Improper transducer angle when it gets deeper? Any ideas?full-17238-48120-2014_08_0706.48.34.jpg